• One

The land was evergreen.

A sweet fragrance filled the field as Kimberly stood still to inhale the lovely aroma. Bees buzzed by also enjoying the lovely sight as they picked their nectar.

Very few people knew of this place as it was located at the edge of the gardening lands just where the forest began. Maybe it was because of the rumored beasts that would roam in the forest that people were afraid of this place.

If that was so, Kimberly was glad. She had the land to herself. Not that she was selfish. She had discovered this area a few months ago and she'd been coming every Friday to pick herbs for treating various ailments.

She had long aspired to be a veterinarian, secretly picking and preparing the herbs as the society she lived didn't allow her to undertake such duties. All ladies were confined at home to take care of their families.

She however had always been interested in horses and Kimberly found it hard staying indoors. She occasionally sneaked out when her parents weren't home and went further into the mountain side to watch birds fly and discover new places.

Kimberly Heather was a known young maiden throughout the kingdom of Hawana. She was mostly popular because of her parents who were respected and well known for their wealth and kindness.

They also served in higher leadership positions where her father, Lord Heather was a General and her mother served under the queen. They both had a close acquaintance with the king and his family making them even more respected.

Kimberly was however known for her mischief and her unsettling behavior. She always looked down upon all the teachings that they had been taught as maidens.

Being treated as docile creatures.

She didn't find that appealing. Ladies were also strong in varied aspects and would perform better in certain areas compared to the men. She had believed so and yearned for their independence as females.

Not that she was a feminist.
Kimberly greatly respected men starting from her father. She well knew that men were much stronger than they were physically due to their structural disparity.

She understood the distinct differences between them but did they have to take over everything? Apparently in their kingdom, women were not allowed to do any task that wasn't household related.

All other responsibilities belonged to the men and it was at this point that Kimberly begged to differ. She didn't exactly beg, she fought for their recognition as females.

She had even spoken to a few ladies urging them to empower themselves and believe they were capable of being independent.

All this fell on deaf ears as most ladies were content with being pretty and waiting for the men to compliment that as they sat home doing nothing. At least there was one person who always listened to her.

Faye.

She had been Kimberly's friend since she came into their home about two years ago. They were both of the same age and that could have been why they bonded so quickly.

Kimberly however liked Faye for her kind heart, how she'd pay attention to all the things Kimberly spoke of even when others thought it was rubbish. Lady Faye always lend her ears.

Kimberly didn't treat her as a servant either. Even though she originally came into their home as one, she didn't address her so. Over the time, they had grown to be sisters . They would do everything together and even get into trouble together.

This afternoon however, Kimberly had managed to sneak out of the manor unnoticed leaving Faye behind. They had received an hearing from her mother the previous Friday and she wouldn't want Faye to be punished for her own mistakes.