• Forty-two

Kimberly felt as if she had entered into another world. Everyone smiled her way in greeting as she walked past the busy market stalls with Matteo beside her. She had occasionally seen the notice papers with her image, stating of her great contribution to the kingdom.

She had been thanked severally that her throat went dry at all the talking but she still managed to hold a conversation every while till the end. News about her medicine had spread so fast, making heads turn everytime she passed by.

"Let me get you a drink," Matteo suggested then led her into a nearby shop gently tugging her hand. He could see that her energy was drained despite the smile she passed everyone. Her success had been such a joy to him too. The King had approved of her skills thus she no longer had to it secretly.

Apparently she was known as the first female veterinarian in the land of Hawana. Perhaps the scholars would put this to record for it was a first occurrence. No lady had risen that far but Lady Kimberly had pulled through.

"Ohh welcome dears," a lovely lady called out when she caught sight of them at her shop's entrance. She smiled brightly leading them to the counter as she wiped her hands against her hips.

"Two bottles of water and a mango juice." Matteo ordered as he simultaneously cashed out the money out of his shirt pocket. He felt Kim tug his arm left just as he retrieved the items. She passed him one of those smiles that temporarily blinded him and he pulled her closer by her waist.

He handed her the water bottle first and after he was satisfied with the water she'd drunk, he gave her the juice knowing how she loved sugary drinks more. They had been walking around town for an hour now enjoying how lively it appeared with the preparations for the annual Hawa celebration tonight ongoing.

There was so much fun around them, children running around as they bought various sweets and adults buying various accessories for the evening. The Hawa celebration was conducted by members of the same family where they'd meet up and share of the great times they'd had that year.

Many of those who had far away relatives travelled to be together with their loved ones. Faye had accompanied Scholar Collins to Sui where he was meeting up with his family. The two had to have sorted out their differences to even travel to another kingdom.

Kimberly had not heard from her mother who always organized this event every year. Her father was quite engaged in palace matters whereas Gerald was hardly home and neither at the palace thus she wasn't sure whether they'd be celebrating tonight.

They later came across a crowded street where lanterns were being sold. In the previous years, Kim had seen her parents get one where they'd release it at midnight during the festival after saying their wishes for each other. It was so lovely to look at so Kim pulled Matteo through to the front.

"Did you want to get something?" Matteo bent down to whisper in her ear due to the noisy crowd. Kim excitedly pointed at the lanterns where everyone scrambled to get to. "I want one of those," someone bumped into her side rather harshly and she held back a groan.

"You'll get hurt in the crowd," Sir Arthur gently rubbed her shoulders and then looped her arms with his, "Wait by the entrance, I'll get the lantern." He found a perfect spot for her and after glaring at the nearby men he went out. Kim waved at him to go ahead once he hesitated a few feet away.

It was just a common area so it's not she was going to get lost or kidnapped. Matteo was just worried over nothing. He had already done much thus Kim rose from her spot minutes later and decided to look for a present to gift him.

The nearby items were not appealing to her but she had to quickly get something before he got back and found her missing. Kim thought of a watch, it was one of the lastest arrivals in their land thus it cost a fortune. She didn't have much with her and besides Matteo didn't look like the type to wear a watch.