• Forty-six

Kim tied her hair up in a messy bun so it couldn't get into her eyes. The wind was blowing against them and she didn't want to end up eating her own hair.

Matteo sat in front of her with his plate already empty. Kim had made them a meal for their little picnic today and despite stacking his plate with more food, he still finished before her.

"Pretty," Kim took the spoon out her mouth and looked at him when he spoke. "You look prettier with your hair up," Kim stopped chewing when she looked up into his eyes.

"It enables me see your whole face." He continued, still gazing at her softly as he leaned over with his elbows over the table.

She tried to swallow the food in her mouth but her increased heart beat led her into a series of coughs that Kim began to choke.

"Have some water," Matteo quickly stood and came to her side, pouring down a glass of water and then held it over her mouth for her to drink as he ran his left hand over her back soothingly.

"Better?" He asked once she was done drinking and Kim only nodded in response. He patted her back again then looked down at her plate, "You should eat more,"

Kim stared at her almost empty plate but shook her head in protest. Matteo had been making her eat more and more everytime they were together. It was even a surprise she hadn't gained weight yet.

"I want you to stay strong and healthy," Matteo attempted to scold but with her doe eyes trained up at him, he sounded as if he was pleading her.

"You can always protect me," Kim smiled as she placed her small hands over his large biceps. He took her hands in his, pressing kisses on both of them as he stared at her.

"Then I'll have to keep you in my sight," he muttered solemnly hoping she could catch on his words. He wanted them together, not a single second spend away from each other.

"Okay," she nodded and stood up from her seat to pick out something from his hair. He was taller for her reach so she had to stand on her toes to get to him.

"Your hair is full of pollen," Kim giggled as she tried removing bits of it from his hair. The sound of her happiness brought immense content in him.

It was times like this that he wondered if such a beauty was there with him. Every moment he shared with Kim felt surreal and he valued their companionship.

"Were you playing in the fields?" It was ridiculous to ask but that was the only thing Kim could think of. He'd always been a tidy person.

Matteo shook his head and he almost pulled her hand back to his hair when she pulled back. He was enjoying the feel of her hands through his hair.

"Come here," he closed his eyes to relish the feeling and missed out when she walked to a bench nearby. She patted the spot beside her when she sat down.

In two strides, he was situated next to her, like an obedient pup. "Lie down," she ordered but he stared down at her confused. Despite wanting to eagerly follow her commands, there was no where to lie on on the small bench.

"Here," Kim pulled him down by his shoulders till his head rested on her lap. Before he could process what was happening, her hands were back into his hair that he closed his eyes to relish the feeling.

Kim continued to remove the pollen from his hair enjoying how soft his hair felt in her hands. She was almost done when she felt him stir from her lap. He nuzzled deeper into her lower body that Kim froze, stopping her actions.

He had been quiet the whole time so she'd assumed he was asleep. "Why did you stop?" Matteo asked when he couldn't feel her hands. He pulled his face out to look at her.