• Twenty-nine

"Take these with you," Lady Heather passed a basket full of fruits to Sir Arthur. They were a good remedy for Lady Arthur who wasn't feeling quite well.

"Thank you." Matteo nodded politely and looked around the living room. He was about to leave and Kimberly was nowhere in sight yet he'd promised to accompany her pick herbs by the lake.

"Did you need something?" The General asked as he came down the stairs fully dressed in his official attire after being summoned by the King earlier that morning.

"Can I take Kimberly with me?" His voice though clear and strong wavered a bit. The General stilled turning around abruptly almost knocking himself over the cabinet. Beside him, Lady Heather too almost dropped the vase she'd been holding.

"Why would I allow that?" Lord Heather narrowed his eyes at him walking closer, an unpleasant scowl present on his face. He was always strict with matters concerning his daughter.

"I meant- " Lady Heather interjected quickly before he even began to explain himself, loosening the tension between them. Her husband looked like he'd wring the knight's neck.

"Shouldn't we sent Kimberly to pass our regards?" She reasoned with him. They had not passed by the Arthur's for a while especially after the Lady Arthur's illness so it would have been courteous of them to send greetings.

Lord Heather looked at his wife agreeing with her though he found it hard to give in. He never had an issue with chasing any interested males near his daughter earlier. Gerald too had been doing a better job making sure they flee back to wherever they'd come from.

"She should be back before dusk." He involuntarily drawled out as he sternly held his eye with Sir Arthur to make his words clear. He was still extremely conflicted with letting her go though as time went by, he'd known that she wasn't going to stay by his side forever.

"Yes, sir." Matteo replied firmly to assure that he'd abide by his command. The General left just as Faye and Lily walked in. After leaving for the market to bring a few herbs, they were finally back having taken longer than necessary.

"Girls, tell Kimberly to get down here." Lady Heather instructed them after sending off her husband. It was a surprise to her that he'd even agreed to let Kim leave and she was beyond pleased.

Faye went up the stairs to call Kim as Lily walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water. She passed by Sir Arthur who nodded in greeting and resumed his pause by the wall.

"I'm sorry, she has kept you waiting." Lady Heather took a couch near him apologizing for Kim's delay. It had almost been five minutes since Faye went up. If they were not gossiping she wondered what they were doing all that time.

"Not at all, I can wait." Sir Arthur assured her and relaxed himself not wanting to appear as if he was impatient or in a hurry. It was just afternoon so they'd have plenty of time.

"Is everything well?" She asked mirroring his expressions. As an only child, she understood how lonely it could feel with no one else to talk to. She'd been one herself.

"Yes," his reply came lowly just as Kim came rushing down with Faye on tow and judging from her attire, Lady Heather could tell why it had taken so long.

"Just a minute, I'll get a bigger basket." Lady Heather rushed to the kitchen and Kimberly frowned wondering what it was for. She wasn't sure how her parents had agreed for her to leave with Matteo.

"You going somewhere?" Lily asked raking her eyes over Kim's appearance. It was just something she rarely put on, especially willingly.

"Getting a few supplies," Kim answered dryly not wanting to give out everything. She'd just asked them to bring her some herbs and how ironic that she was going out to get them too.