2 - Their Late-Night Guest

----◦•❁◦•◦----------------------------------------------------------◦•◦❁•◦----

The young master settled down at the dining hall along with the guests. Claude placed the final plate in front of Arnold Trancy. Alois began to tell the guests about the series of unfortunate events he had to go through before he returned to Trancy Manor. The master mentioned a child he met back at the village he lived in for some time. Claude glanced over at him. The butler turned around going to get complimentary dishes. 

----◦•❁◦•◦------------------------------

Ryoba walked after Claude as he pushed a tray of tea towards the table. "What happened to the village that night?" The Priest asked. "I don't know either... but... at least my father came to take me home. I thought I'm not alone! I finally have love!" Alois exclaimed. "Then he..." His Highness looked down at his lap. "He left too..." He finished. Father made sure to bless the young lord. "Thank you father but, I'll manage." Alois stated. This causing Arnold Trancy to change his facial expression. 

Alois got up from his seat, approaching Arnold and standing behind him. "For one thing, I have Uncle Arnold!" He exclaimed. Alois put his arms around Arnold. "Yes, of course, you do" Arnold said. "I say, Uncle Arnold" Alois said. "Yes?" His uncle questioned. "Don't lean your face too close to mine... your mouth stinks" He stated. The old man's eyes widened, the statement causing him to blush from embarrassment as the young master smirked. 

----◦•❁◦•◦------------------------------

Outside the front doors of Trancy Manor -

Dinner was over, Count Druitt and the Priest had decided to leave while Arnold Trancy stood in front of his carriage looking up at the manor. "That damn brat!" He yelled out. Arnold then turned around getting ready to enter his carriage. "Wait, Uncle Arnold!" Alois called out from the balcony. He leaned forward in order to look down. "I know you only want money, right?" He asked. "So here, you can have these!" His nephew said while opening a chest. Inside the chest were several notes of money. 

"These moldy old notes aren't fit to even feed a goat with!" Alois said. "Here, deeds to land! I'll give you horses, too!" His Highness said while grabbing some notes from the tray Ryoba held and then some from the plate Claude was holding. "Take all of it!" He yelled out while grabbing the entire tray from Ryoba and throwing it off the balcony. The money notes began to fall down slowly all around Sir Arnold and his carriage. 

"Look at him bluester around Ryoba! It's like he's dancing, don't you think so Claude?" Alois questioned while laughing and pointing at Arnold. Ryoba was confused, why was her master all of a sudden giving her all this attention while Claude is present. Everyone in the manor knew that Alois favored Claude the most, so why was he paying so much attention to Ryoba today. "What a pitiful sight!" He exclaimed. 

Ryoba let out a small chuckle to please the young master. "I'm waiting Claude" The boy said, his tone changing almost immediately. "Yes?" Claude questioned. "I want you to laugh too" The young lord let out a frustrating sigh. The wind began to blow harshly. "There's a storm coming" Alois stated. 

----◦•❁◦•◦------------------------------

Inside Trancy Manor

Ryoba followed behind Claude as she usually would as he held a candlestick. Their current task was to walk through the halls hoping to not come across any intruders. The hallways were dark and gloomy. A loud knock came from the front doors making Claude turn around. "Come" He said to Ryoba. They stood in front of the front doors, Ryoba opened it then stood behind Claude as he stepped forward. There was a man standing at the door soaked, he was wearing a trench coat. "A storm has come" The strange man stated. 

Thunderstruck. "What brings you to our door at this late hour?" Claude questioned. 

"I've been caught outside in this wicked storm, might I trouble you for a night's lodgings?" The outsider asked. "Wow!" The two servants heard Alois exclaim. "Look at you, you're so filthy! You look just like a drowned rat" The young master stated. He quickly approached the soaked man. He stood on his tippy toes his face very close to the stranger's. " But still... you do smell rather nice. So what's your name?" Alois asked while stepping back and giving the strange man some space. 

His Excellency turned around to face his Head Butler and Head Maid. "This man will be staying with us, understood Claude? And of course, you understand Ryoba" Alois stated. He meant to say it to Claude more than he did to Ryoba. 

----◦•❁◦•◦------------------------------

In the dining hall -

Ryoba placed down a plate in front of the man in the trench coat. "Try this one, Claude's cooking is simply delicious" Alois said while picking up the plate. "Yes, I'm sure it tastes quite nice. However, please inspect this speck of sauce on the rim of the plate" The guest said. "I'm sure it would've been too great of an inconvenience to dab it with a cloth" He added. "My apologies, I'll clear this right away" Claude said. 

"I didn't realize a man wearing a coat at the dining table would have such delicate sensibilities" Claude said. Ryoba picked up the plate she made from the tray on top of her cart. She placed the plate in front of the guest. "I hope this will be more to your liking sir" Ryoba said. She bowed and then turned back towards her cart. "You flatter me" The man in the trench coat said. He looked down at the plate presented to him. "This dish seems marvelous, not only is it simple but it must be delicious" He said. 

"Really? I've never tried Ryoba's cooking before." Alois stated. "Ryoba, make me the same dish" He demanded. "Right away your Highness" She said. Ryoba then walked past an annoyed Claude already listing the ingredients needed to create the dish. 

----◦•❁◦•◦----------------------------------------------------------◦•◦❁•◦----