chapter twenty-four

•Marty's point of view•

I was sitting with Doc in his garage, Tess, Sodapop, and Scarlet had to go see Mr & Mrs. Jacobs. Doc looked over to me and smirked, "Still in love with her?" "What? No way!" "Martin your a very bad liar." I sighed, "Of curse I'm still in love with her, I really thought she was the one," "You will find someone else Marty, in the last 3 years dozens of girls have chased after you and you never gave any of them a chance," "Well that's because none of them were Tessa," "Maybe you should just let her go, her life has changed...she's over you." Doc was right, Tessa could give two shits about me, she has the perfect live. She has a perfect husband, a perfect baby, and a perfect lifestyle. Teresa Jacobs probably wants to forget all about me, which she should...I obviously wasn't all that important...she cheated on me with a boy from a different decade. I keep thinking about how none of this would have happened if I didn't let her take that delorean out of the garage, she would still be my girl...and maybe my wife. Doc looked at me, "Marty you gotta just let her go, she just wasn't the one," "She would have been...I just wish I could have stopped her from taking the delorean out," "Everything happens for a reason." Doc's advice wasn't helpful, but I appreciated the effort.

About 30 minutes later Scarlet came into the garage, "Hey guys," "Hey Scarlet, where's Tess?" "Mom and dad wanted to talk to her and Sodapop," "How did they react?" "They were definitely confused and surprised, but not angry," "That's good." We all awkwardly sat there until Scarlet spoke up, "Marty, how come you never talked to me before?" "Uh..I don't really know, I guess I was just focused on Tessa most of the time," "I get it." I looked at her and asked my most dreaded question, "Do you think Tessa is happier with Sodapop?" "Well...Marty if you want the truth...yes. She just looks more sure of herself," "Before we broke up...did she look happy?" "She did look happy, but she just looked like she was lost most of the time...but I think I know why. Tess couldn't believe that you would date her out of all the other girls, you were popular and everyone loved you. So when you and Tessa started dating, I think she thought it was too good to be true." I never thought about it that way...but Scarlet was right, according to most people I was one of the most popular boys in school. Teresa Jacobs wasn't as popular as me, but she was known by most. What Scarlet said really made sense to me, so either way...I was probably going to lose my Tessa.

•Tessa's point of view•

After dinner my parents wanted to talk to Sodapop and I, they asked so many questions. My parents were confused as to why their daughter was missing for 3 years, I think they had a hard time believing that I actually time traveled. My mom looked at me hopeful, "So sweetie...are you going to be staying in 1988 with us?" "Uh actually...no I'm not," "W-what?." My mother looked at me like I had completely lost it, "W-why?" "What do you mean why? I just came to visit, not move back," "Why can't you stay with your family?" "Well for starters Sodapop is alive in this year, he's 39...if his past self sees his future self the space time continuum would be messed up," "Well...what if just you stays?." I looked at Sodapop and he looked at me awkwardly, I turned to my mother, "Mom can we please talk...alone." She followed me into the kitchen, "Tess-." I immediately interrupted her, "How dare you ask that right in front of him," "What are you talking about dear?" "How could you ask that just I stay?" "Well I don't even know the boy," "So? That was rude mom, I'm not leaving him just so you know." She huffed and glared at me, "You want to know what was rude? You leaving your family Teresa, you left us here to worry about you," "Marty and Doc told you what had happened, at least you knew," "How was I supposed to believe that my daughter had time traveled?." We both sat in silence, until I broke it, "Mom, I love you and dad...I shouldn't have just left, I'm sorry. But I'm not sorry for leaving, I think I was born in the wrong decade," "I get it Tess, I'm still just trying to process this whole deal. I guess if time traveling makes you happy...then so be it...just please don't forget about your father and sister," "I won't mom...I promise." She wrapped her arms around me....I immediately embraced the hug. I went back out into the living room and explained to my father that I was leaving again, he understood and let me go. Sodapop and I said goodbye to my parents and made our way back to Doc's house, it was a quiet walk, until Sodapop broke the silence, "Tess?" "Yeah baby?" "Do your parents like me?" "Definitely, they really do like you." We kept walking, Sodapop was holding our sleeping child. He made a really great father, he was just made to be a dad. We finally made it back to Doc's house and went into the garage, my sister was sitting with Marty and Doc. Scarlet's eyes lit up, "Tess! How did it go?" "It went well, mom and dad are sad that we're leaving...but they understand," "Good...I was afraid mom was gonna yell at you or something," "She should have...it wasn't fair of me to just leave like that," "At least you came back," "True."
________________________________
☀️
XOXO
i love u
~kass