Chapter 2

Chapter 2

HE had his phone in his hand as he scrolled down his feed. The information about his wife popped up before him, and he made sure to read everything he came across.

A soft, sad smile spread over his pink, plump lips. Butterflies erupted in his stomach. His heart pounded in his chest.

She might not tolerate his existence, he thought, but he was definitely in love with her.

His heart ached at the first half of the sentence.

Just as he pressed his hand against the smooth screen, ready to read another piece of information, he heard the sound of the front door creaking open, followed by the sound of familiar heels heading towards the living room.

He turned around and was met by her figure hovering over him. He gulped and sat up straight, trying to hide the search on his phone by pressing the power button in order to not seem like a hopeless romantic.

She stared at him up and down for a brief second before shoving three garment bags she was holding in her hands towards his face, which he barely caught in his grip, clearly surprised.

"We're going to a dinner party. Take a shower first and I'll send the maid up to help you wear these clothes and help you with your hair. Be ready in an hour," she ordered coldly, eyeing his appearance, "and don't embarrass me."

He nodded in obedience before standing up from his seat, bowing slightly.

"Thank you," he replied in a soft, Australian accent.

She rolled her eyes and walked away, ignoring him in the process.

His chest stung at the no reply she gave him. His eyes dropped to the floor in disappointment.

His heart was aching to talk to her.

Loud noises of laughter were all he could hear as he sat down next to his wife, who was talking to men and women he couldn't recognize.

They were sitting at a large dining table surrounded by rich, popular actors and actresses.

On one side was his wife, Mal, and on his other side was a beautiful, blonde woman, Lauren.

Mal turned to one of the actors before her, Robert, and chatted about something he couldn't understand, considering that he wasn't aware of the topic in the first place.

He tried to smile and wave at people who pointed at him, which only made them giggle and roll their eyes.

To the point that he wasn't sure if they were laughing at his cuteness, or at him.

Mal turned to the two actresses across from them, who were laughing at her husband, then turned to Hyunjin with a smile.

Unexpectedly, she wrapped her arm around his waist and brought him closer to her, making his face turn red as he leaned his head against her shoulder.

The gesture made the two actresses shut up and guiltily look away, avoiding Mal's death glares.

Hyunjin's heart raced, almost like it was going to explode. He leaned his head against Mal's shoulder and stopped breathing for a brief second, trying to enjoy being ever so close to her.

That was only when he felt the hand sneaking its way up to his thigh.

His breath hitched as he glanced down almost immediately, surprised at the sight of the hand.

It wasn't his wife's hand, however.

It was Lauren's hand.

The hand continued to reach up to his thigh, till it reached his privates.

And squeezed.

His mouth opened slightly while tears began to form in his eyes.

A small, pained groan escaped his mouth before she squeezed harder. Tighter. The gesture brought more blinding tears to his eyes.

"S-Stop." He whispered in Korean, only to be met by Lauren's evil, seductive smirk.

"H-Hey, can I go to the bathroom? I don't feel so g-good." He asked his wife, his voice ever so desperate.

She nodded and let go of his waist, allowing him to stand up to hurry out of the room, tears threatening to stream down his handsome face.

. . .

As soon as he reached the bathroom, he opened the door in a hurry and entered, then closed the door behind him. Closing his eyes as the loud noise of laughing and talking faded behind him, he leaned his back against the wooden door to hold himself upright.

And it was only then that he allowed himself to break down into tears.

He walked in slow, weak steps towards the mirror that was hung on the wall of the luxurious bathroom, then glanced at his reflection.

His handsome face was wet with tears. Soft sobs escaped his mouth. His body trembling with shock and disbelief.

Just when he was so close to her.

Just when he was enjoying her presence.

Just when she was holding him ever so close, to tell the world that they were married. That they were together.

Why did that woman have to ruin that?

His fists clenched until the pain in his privates faded into a dull ache.

And even when it did, he still couldn't control his tears, nor his shaky sobs.

He leaned his head against the marble counter, then wrapped his arms around himself, his knees buckling beneath him.

Why couldn't he do anything right?

____________________