Chapter 16

HIS heavy eyelids fluttered open and almost immediately, pain shot through his head. He closed his eyes and opened them again in hope to get rid of the headache, but then a new kind of pain erupted through him.

Tears filled up his eyes and he let out a loud groan of pain. He sat up straight, wincing at the pain in his body. He hugged himself by wrapping both arms around his chest, trying to cover his torso.

And it was only then when he realized he was naked.

A wave of cold air brushed against his bare torso, sending shivers down his spine. The sight of the familiar room popped up before him as he took a look around him.

"W-Why..."

He stood up and grabbed the nightstand to keep him upright. He slowly walked up to his closet in the corner of the room, opening its door to fumble through his clothes.

Thud.

A familiar noise of the front door creaking open met his ears, and his eyes widened in shock.

She couldn't see him like that. She couldn't know.

He quickly grabbed a black hoodie and shoved it above his head, then grabbed a pair of matching sweatpants, underwear and put them on just as quickly.

As soon as he was done, he made his way slowly out of the room, towards the stairs and the living room.

"Beautiful?" She called out. "I'm home, baby! I brought food. Your favourite."

He took a few steps towards the kitchen, where he saw her standing by the island, unpacking the fast food she brought.

"Jagiya..?"

She turned to him with a smile. Her bright, delightful smile faded into a concerned frown almost immediately. She ran towards him and engulfed him in a hug.

He allowed a few tears to pour down his face, returning her hug with a tighter one, seeking reassurance. He let out a few sobs of despair.

"Beautiful, what's wrong? Did something happen?"

He shook his head and squeezed her torso tighter, inhaling her comforting scent.

She was there. She came back to be with him. He assured himself. He was going to be fine. As long as she was there with him.

"I'm f-fine. I'm just t-tired, jagiya," he spoke through the hug, his eyes tearing up again.

She planted a small kiss on his forehead, his cheek, anywhere she could reach.

"Are you sure, beautiful? You don't look fine..."

He nodded as she shoved him away gently.

"Come on, baby," she spoke in a soft tone, "let's go eat something."

He shook his head weakly, still tearing up. "Well, y-you know, I'm not that h-hungry."

She engulfed him in another, tight hug. He sighed and sunk his face through her neck, letting out a small sob. She rubbed his back and kissed his forehead again.

"Please, beautiful. Eat something with me, okay? Just a little."

At the end he decided to agree, as he didn't want her to suspect anything else going on. He was only tired after all, no big deal.

Right?

No. God, no. His body hurt like hell. His muscles ached. He was barely breathing. His legs trembled and shook.

No, he was not okay.

But he couldn't let her know that.

Their performance the day before was good. More than good. The people loved it. And she was happy, more than happy. He couldn't let her worry about him now.

"Eat something for me, please." She requested as she pulled him by his hand towards the table. He nodded and sent her a fake smile, then took his seat on the stool next to hers.

"Okay, jagiya..."

She sighed in relief, then handed him the box of pepperoni pizza. He slid the cover away and the two were met by the delicious scent of the dough. Their mouths watered.

"Wow, that's..." he began, taking a bite from his slice of pizza and raising his thumb up. She giggled, nodding at his reaction.

"Sometimes I think you're too cute," she blurted out, her cheeks turning light pink, "like you're an angel or something."

His heart melted at the statement.

"Sometimes I think about how lucky I am to have you," he spoke, his smile fading away, "I'm so in love with you. I really wish you will stay with me forever."

She glanced into his eyes and sent him a soft smile, unsure why his reaction changed so suddenly, "of course, beautiful. I'll always be there for you."

He wasn't so sure about that sentence.

Not when she would find out what her 'friend' did. If she found out, somehow.

She had her ways of knowing everything. Her mothers did. They somehow knew that the rumours weren't true, which was the truth after all. How would she know would remain a mystery, and so would her reaction.

Would that make her love him any less? Or get mad at him?

He didn't understand...

He couldn't understand.

Why would Lauren do such thing to him anyway?

Not like they knew each other.

"Are you sure everything is okay, baby? Is something bothering you? You know you can tell me anything."

He shook his head, knowing that he wasn't supposed to tell her.

"I'm okay, jagiya. Really."

Lies.