Chapter 10

SHE sighed in relief as soon as the doctor closed the door behind him, leaving her and her unconscious husband alone in the gigantic, luxurious room. She turned to his limp body that was lying on the bed, tears already welling up in her eyes despite the doctor reassuring her a few moments earlier. She ignored her racing heart and tried to cover her mouth to stop sobs from escaping.

God, she was so worried about him. Her heart almost dropped to her stomach.

She stepped quietly towards the bed and reached for his fragile hand, entwining it between her fingers as gently as possible.

"Why did you scare me like that?" She scolded in a soft, shaky tone, kneeling to his level to plant a small kiss on his hand. "Do you have any idea how worried I was? About you?"

He opened his eyes and blinked weakly for a few moments, his vision barely adjusting to the bright lights in the room.

"I'm s-sorry..."

His low voice came out frail and soft, almost inaudible.

"Shh," she shushed quietly, planting a small kiss on the top of his hand, "don't apologize, baby. I should've known. I'm just too selfish sometimes. I should've thought about you."

She sighed and closed her eyes for a few brief moments.

"The truth is... I have been thinking about you. A lot."

His vision fixated on her figure, and blinding tears began forming in his warm eyes.

"Y-You were?"

She nodded, a small smile spread over her face, "Yes. I really, really was. You have no idea."

A small tear found its way down his pale, handsome face.

"Gosh, I..." he paused, unsure if he should say it or not.

He swallowed. His mind urged him to. He needed to say it.

"I love you so much," he finally spoke in Korean, his voice breaking in fear of rejection once again. His eyes were filled with hopeful tears.

It took her a while to react.

She stared at his pale face for a few seconds, blinking her doubtful, unsure eyes. He wasn't sure if it was because she didn't understand.

He could see the hesitation in her eyes. The pure hesitation and fear of someone not entirely sure if they want to say something.

What was going on?

She sighed and glanced at her shoes.

Then, she looked up at him once again, this time her expression brighter and more enthusiastic. Her sharp gaze softened and she leaned in to plant another small kiss on his forehead.

"I love you too," she replied in Korean, which made him widen his eyes and sputter, shocked.

"W-What?" He asked, then moved his muscles in a failing attempt to sit up straight. He winced as pain and hypersensitivity shot up his weak, feverish body.

She rested her palms against his firm chest, forbidding him from moving. He glanced at her, the area around his chest where her hand was heating up with embarrassment.

"You speak Korean?"

She nodded, biting her lower lip in embarrassment.

"I've been learning it for a while now. As soon as my mum told me that I'll get married to a Korean man, I made sure to learn it just in case I fall in love with him and proved myself wrong."

She let out a small giggle, leaning close to him to leave only inches between them to tell them apart.

"And I did fall in love with him." She allowed tears to stream down her sad face. "I proved myself wrong."

His eyes sparkled with hope. His lower lip quivered as tears found their way down his face. A small, questioning 'really' popped up from his mouth, earning a hesitating nod from her.

"God, I'm so in love with you..." he whispered weakly, pain shooting up and down his spine.

She nodded with a tearful smile.

"Me too, baby," she spoke, "me too."

She sighed once again, a sad smile spread over her worried face.

He blinked once. Twice. Three times.

His eyes grew heavy. His muscles relaxed. He unconsciously squeezed her hand tighter in a failed attempt to remain attached to her. His body failed him, however, as his grip weakened.

For a moment, he feared that he would fall asleep and wake up only to find it all a dream. Her confession. Her soft smile. Her, in general.

Somehow, she understood the baffled expression over his tired eyes.

"J-Jagiya, I-I'm so tired..." he whispered, his voice low and exhausted. He breathed in and out, once, twice, trying to accept the fact that he was about to pass out again.

She nodded and squeezed his hand tighter.

"That must be the painkillers the doctor gave you kicking in." She reasoned, rubbing a finger on her chin. "Go to sleep, baby. I'll be there for you when you wake up."

He trusted her.

He believed her.

He would've done anything to wake up beside her. And now that he was sure it would happen, he felt safer than ever.

"Goodnight, beautiful."

His cheeks turned light pink at the nickname. He barely nodded at that, almost tearing up.

His dream became the truth.

"G-Good... Night, Jagiya..."

That was the last thing he muttered before he gave in to the darkness. His eyelids closed and his body went limp, losing consciousness once again.