Chapter 9

I finish the meeting, and everyone starts filing out of the room while Stephanie and Mary insist on talking to me on my way to my office

Elizabeth: "Alright, I must meet my father and daughter for lunch. You two hold down the fort while I'm gone."

Mary: "Of course, ma'am."

She goes back to her desk.

Stephanie: "I still need to get the invitations for the next fashion show. The models have been fitted with the outfits, and a pamphlet sample has been drawn up for you to review."

Elizabeth: "Alright, leave the sample on my desk and pick up the invitations on your way back from your lunch break."

As I walk out of the elevator to leave the building, my phone starts ringing. I pull it out of my purse to see Thea is calling me.

E: Hey, Thea
T: Liz, I wish this was a social call, but it's not. My mom is in the hospital; she was shot at
E: Oh my god, I'll be right there

I hang up with Thea and get in my car, telling my driver to take me to the hospital before calling my father.

E: Hey, Dad, sorry, but I need a raincheck on our lunch. Moira was just shot at and is in the hospital
M: Alright, no problem. Let me know if she is okay. I'll watch Hannah for you
E: Thanks, Dad
M: Of course, we can reschedule for a later date
E: Love you, dad
M: Love you too, sweetheart

I hang up and walk into the hospital. When I get to Moira's room, Oliver is just about to leave, till he sees me and stops.

Elizabeth: "Oliver, I was just coming to see your mom. How is she? Is she okay?"

Oliver: "Yeah, yeah, she's fine. She has a grade 2 concussion, but the doctor said she can come home today."

Elizabeth: "Thank goodness. I was so scared she got shot."

Oliver: "Well, luckily, she's fine. Thank you for coming by, Elizabeth."

Elizabeth: "Of course."

He nods before walking past me, but I stop him.

Elizabeth: "Oliver,"

Oliver: "Yes, Liz?"

Elizabeth: "We should talk soon."

Oliver: "Sure. I'll try to stop by your place later tonight."

He quickly leaves, and I go into Moira's room to find her sitting in the hospital bed and Thea in a chair beside her.

After checking on Moira, I go home to find my father with my daughter in the living room.

Elizabeth: "Hey, I'm back."

Hannah: "Mommy!"

She drops her toy and runs to me. I catch her in my arms, picking her up and holding her tight.

Elizabeth: "Hey, baby. Did you have fun with Papa?"

Hannah: "Yeah, we had a tea party."

Elizabeth: "Really, that sounds like so much fun. I can't believe I missed it. Why don't you get ready so we can go see LiLi."

Hannah: "Okay."

She hurries off to her room as my dad walks over to me.

Malcolm: "How is Moira doing?"

Elizabeth: "She has a grade 2 concussion, but they released her from the hospital."

Malcolm: "I'll stop by to see her later tonight. I have some business to attend to."

Elizabeth: "I guess I'll see you later."

Malcolm: "Yeah, we'll have lunch soon."

He hugs me before saying goodbye to Hannah and leaving. I call Stephanie to inform her of the situation and that I won't be in for the rest of the day. Then Hannah and I go to the Queen's mansion.

~Malcolm's POV~

I return to my office, where I receive an email from an old associate of mine.

?: The boy is doing well in his training. It won't be long before he's ready to make his first kill.
Malcolm: I'm not surprised. He is my blood, after all.

He sends me a photo of my grandson training with a bow and quiver, targeting moving cardboard men.

Malcolm: "That's my boy."

~Elizabeth's POV~

When we arrive at the Queen mansion, Hannah goes up to Moira's room while Oliver and I go into his room for a private conversation.

Oliver: "What was it you wanted to talk about?"

Elizabeth: "I need to talk to you about Hannah."

Oliver: "What about her?"

Elizabeth: "She needs to hear some things from you, and we need to decide what to do about our situation now that you have returned from the dead. She keeps asking me when you will move in with us, and I have no idea what to tell her."

He looks hesitant as he takes a deep breath, and I am honestly nervous about his response. I bite my lip as I put my hands on my arms, as a 'trying to comfort myself' method to feel less nervous.

Oliver: "You're right. We need to discuss this, but I do not have the time right now. I have to take care of some business for my mother. I don't know when I will be back. But I promise we will continue this conversation when I return."

I sigh, knowing he is just as nervous as I am about it, but at least he can escape for now. It's just frustrating cause I want to get this conversation over with. But of course, he doesn't have time for it. I leave the room with him but go into Moira's room while he goes downstairs.

Upon entering her room, I hear the Little Mermaid on the TV and spot Hannah sleeping beside Moira while she is reading a magazine. She puts it down as I walk over to her, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Moira: "Let me guess, Oliver had to leave suddenly?"

Elizabeth: "Yup. It's almost impossible to have a serious conversation with the man."

She pulls me into a motherly hug.

Moira: "Yes, I have had the same problem with him. However, seeing Dr. Lamb again made me remember the day Oliver came home. Dr. Lamb told me that the Oliver we'd lost might not be the one they'd found. I think it's easy to forget that he lived apart from civilization for five years."

Elizabeth: "I keep forgetting to think about that when things keep coming up with him. Of course, he's restless around here. You're right. We really should try to remember that more before judging him."