Chapter 22

After my date with Ollie, he had Mr. Diggle drive me home. I was upset that it had to be cut short, but I can understand that he has a lot to do with his nightclub opening soon. I went through a similar phase when I opened my company. Once I entered, I found Stephanie on the couch with Hannah fast asleep.

Elizabeth: "Hey, how long has she been out?"

Stephanie: "About half an hour. She wanted to wait for you."

We both chuckle a little before I pick up Hannah and take her to her room. I return to Stephanie once I've tucked her in and closed the door.

Stephanie: "So, how was the date?"

Elizabeth: "Cut short. Something came up that he needed to take care of at work."

Stephanie: "You've got to be kidding me."

Elizabeth: "Steph, it's not like he did it intentionally."

Stephanie: "Yeah, okay. But can't he take a night off and try to spend time with you? It seems like he's always cutting everything short lately."

She huffs like this is happening to her.

Elizabeth: "Hey, how did you feel on those dates you had to miss when we were putting together my fashion company?"

Stephanie: "Every guy thought I was blowing them off as if I was trying to take one of those freeway exits Barney talks about on How I Met Your Mother. It was so annoying. But what's your point?"

Elizabeth: "Apply that to Oliver, and you should see my point on why I'm not mad."

Stephanie: "Yeah, I guess you're right."

She grabs her purse off the kitchen counter before heading toward the door. She stops at the door and turns back to me.

Stephanie: "So what are you gonna do tomorrow?"

Elizabeth: "Well, we have that Cancer Society Auction tomorrow night. Before that, I think I'll take Hannah out for brunch."

Stephanie: "Right. I will see you tomorrow."

Elizabeth: "Good night, and thanks for watching Hannah."

The next day I took Hannah to brunch at my favorite Tea Café before I had to prepare for the Auction. 

Stephanie shows up in her purple dress while I put on the green dress from the new line we just unveiled

Stephanie shows up in her purple dress while I put on the green dress from the new line we just unveiled. Tommy picked up Hannah an hour ago to watch her for the night. We just arrived at the auction and are walking around at the moment.

Elizabeth: "Did Mary or Peyton ever get back to you on whether or not they are coming tonight?"

Stephanie: "Mary said she needed extra time in the financial department, and Peyton decided to go on a date instead."

Elizabeth: "And after Peyton made such a big deal out of wanting to wear the champagne dress. Well, at least we were able to make it."

Stephanie: "It looks like we aren't the only ones."

She gestures toward our left while she takes a sip of her wine. I look over to find Oliver with Mr. Diggle and a blonde woman.

Elizabeth: "It's fine. I don't need to acknowledge this right now."

Stephanie: "Do you want me to beat him up for you? Or maybe get rid of her?"

Elizabeth: "It might not even be what we are thinking. Let's not overreact. He just told me he loves me last night."

She looks at me, stunned, as I sip my wine.

Stephanie: "Wait, what? You tell me everything. Why didn't you mention this sooner?"

Elizabeth: "Because I needed time to process. Plus, you were a little busy trash-talking him for having to leave early."

Stephanie: "Well, maybe I wouldn't have if you mentioned that little detail."

I look back over at Oliver as the blonde girl walks away, and Oliver's eyes land on mine. I quickly look back at Stephanie.

Elizabeth: "Oh crap, I think he just caught me staring at him."

Stephanie: "Yeah, he's coming over here."

I take a deep breath before turning around to find Oliver about a foot away.

Oliver: "Liz, I didn't know you would be here tonight."

Elizabeth: "Yes, well, Stephanie and I thought it would be a good idea to donate some of the proceeds from our fashion show to the Cancer Society. So here we are."

Stephanie: "So, who was your date that just left?"

I subtly elbow her in the side, and she barely reacts while waiting for Oliver to respond.

Oliver: "She isn't my date. Felicity is just a friend of mine. Liz, I'm so sorry I had to cut our date short last night, and I hope you will allow me to make it up to you at some point."

I let out a silent sigh of relief upon hearing Felicity is just a friend.

Elizabeth: "Of course. Maybe we could sit together during the auction."

Oliver: "I would like that."

Elizabeth: "I must speak with someone, but I will find you soon."

Oliver: "Sounds great. I have to take care of something too."

He kisses my cheek before we part ways. As I walk away, I see Felicity wearing a peculiar-looking necklace as she hurries by, but I don't think much of it.

Once I finished talking to the host, I looked for Oliver but couldn't find him. I took my seat with Stephanie, and then Mr. Diggle and Felicity joined us, leaving a seat between them and me.

Diggle: "Oliver will be here in a moment. He needed to step out to take a phone call."

I notice Felicity looks pale and a little frightened.

Elizabeth: "Alright. Felicity, are you okay? You look as if you've seen a ghost."

Felicity: "I'm okay. Thank you for worrying about me."

Oliver makes it to his seat just before the auction starts. He takes my hand in his.

Oliver: "Sorry I'm late."

Elizabeth: "It's okay. Mr. Diggle told me you had to take a phone call."

Oliver: "Yeah, just one of my distributors having some issues with paperwork. But I am here now, and I'm not going anywhere without you."

I lean over and kiss his lips before we focus on the auction.