Chapter 21

I am driving back to Laurel's to pick up Hannah when I get a call from Thea.

E - Hey, Thea. What's up?
T - Liz, have you seen Oliver? I've been trying to call him, but he's not answering.
E - I'm sorry, I haven't seen him. What happened?
T - The Hood attacked my mom.
E - Oh my god. Is Moira alright? She's not hurt, is she?
T - No, but she hurt him. Can you find my brother?
E - I'll try my best. Maybe he doesn't get reception in the club. I'll check there.
T - Thank you. Let me know when you find him.
E - I will. Send my best wishes to your mother.
T - I will.

I hang up and tell Tommy why I can't pick up Hannah yet while changing course to go to Oliver's club in the Glades.

When I arrive, I walk up to the front door, just for it to open with Oliver on the other side. He looks shocked to see me.

Oliver: "Liz, what are you doing here?"

Elizabeth: "I came to search for you. Thea called me. The Hood attacked your mother, and no one could reach you."

Oliver: "I-is she okay? I need to go see her."

Elizabeth: "Of course. I need to go pick up Hannah. I'll be over afterward."

Oliver: "I will see you there."

The next day, I began my training with my father. It's been a week since then, and my body is sore. I don't know how I am keeping up with my daily life. I'm going through some paperwork on my desk when there's a knock at my office door.

Elizabeth: "Come in."

I look up as the door opens, expecting to see Stephanie, but I am surprised to see Oliver enter.

Oliver: "Hey, Liz."

Elizabeth: "Ollie, what are you doing here?"

Oliver: "Well, I was in the area when I realized we haven't been on a proper date."

I giggle while standing up and coming around the desk.

Oliver: "I was wondering if you would like to go on that second date with me. I promise, no burning buildings this time."

I bite my lip, trying not to smile so large as I look up at him.

Elizabeth: "I would like that. How about tonight?"

Oliver: "Sounds great. I'll pick you up at eight, and we can grab drinks or something."

Elizabeth: "Okay."

We are both rather smiley.

Oliver: "I'm lingering. I'm gonna go."

We both chuckle as he turns and leaves my office. I bite my lip again, trying and failing to stop my smile, when Stephanie pokes her head into my office.

Stephanie: "So, how was the surprise visit? You look very blushy."

Elizabeth: "It was a nice surprise. I have a date tonight."

Stephanie: "That's a little sudden. How are you going to pick out an outfit in time?"

Elizabeth: "It's not like I don't have clothes here. But I did forget something. I don't have anyone to watch Hannah tonight."

I groan as I hide my face in my hands.

Stephanie: "I'll watch her for you. I want you on that date tonight."

Elizabeth: "Thank you."

Stephanie: "You're welcome. Now let's get in that closet and pick out a dress."

She grabs my arm and drags me into the closet, where we go through all the clothes before finally picking out my date attire.

Stephanie: "You look hot, Liz. He is going to be all over you tonight."

Elizabeth: "Thanks, Steph. God, I don't know why I'm so nervous. We've been on a date before."

Stephanie: "Yeah, and it ended in a life-threatening fire. Of course, you're going to be nervous. But that doesn't matter. He may be Oliver Queen, party-boy, trust-fund brat. But you are Elizabeth Merlyn. You are a badass, single mother who can do whatever she sets her mind to. You've got this, and he is so lucky to even get the time of day from you."

I pull her into a hug.

Elizabeth: "Thank you for everything, Stephanie. You're the best friend I could ever ask for."

Stephanie: "So are you. Now go knock him dead. I'll pick up Hannah from downstairs and see you back at your place when this date is over."

She pats my shoulder once before Oliver picks me up and takes me to Table Salt.

We've been having a great time together and are now sharing a chocolate souffle and drinking wine.

Elizabeth: "Oh my god, you are so right. This is the best souffle I have ever tasted."

Oliver: "Right?"

I look up at him to find his gaze solely on me, and in an attempt to hide my flushed face, I take a sip of my wine.

Oliver: "I really missed you, Liz. You were the one person I really wanted to see the whole time on that island."

He puts his hand on mine while holding my gaze.

Oliver: "To come home and find out that you had our daughter while I was away was an incredible discovery. I love you, Liz. I've wanted to tell you for a while now."

I can't help but be moved by his words, even though there is one thing he doesn't know, and I know this isn't the moment to talk about it. I hold his hand, trying to keep that thought away for now.

Elizabeth: "I love you too, Ollie. I couldn't get over you the whole time you were gone, and there's no one I would rather be with."

He gets up and pulls me up with him by my hand, pulling me into a loving kiss.

Oliver: "We should get out of here. Would you like to go back to my place?"

Elizabeth: "I'd love to."

We walk hand-in-hand to his car, and he gets a call right when we reach it. He groans as he takes it and doesn't sound too happy when he ends it. He turns back to me with a somber expression.

Oliver: "Liz, you have no idea how sorry I am about this, but I have to get back to work."

I sigh, knowing how hard first running a business can be.

Elizabeth: "It's okay, Ollie. I know what it's like. You can drop me off at home, and we will pick this up some other time."

Oliver: "You are so amazing."

He kisses me once more before taking me home for the evening.