Chapter 19

~(A/N) For those who don't know, I forgot about Connor Hawke/Diggle's future adopted son when I named Elizabeth's son Connor and have now changed his name to Liam. Thank you for reading my fanfic, and I hope you enjoy the next chapter.~

It's been a week since The Count, aka the guy making the Vertigo, got arrested, and Thea got off on a plea deal; she is now working with Laurel. I still ignore my father, who keeps trying to get me to talk to him but hasn't apologized. As for me, I struggled with letting Hannah go into her first day of daycare without me today. I know it's only an elevator ride away, but I have separation anxiety. Stephanie joined me and helped me walk away from the door, so I wouldn't start crying in front of everyone. Laurel called me, saying she needed to see me after something happened with Tommy and her father. Stephanie agreed to watch Hannah for me while I went to Laurel's.

I knock on the door, and she answers it, looking worried and anxious.

Laurel: "Lizzy, thanks for coming over on such short notice."

Elizabeth: "No problem. What happened?"

I come in and follow her to the couch.

Laurel: "So Tommy and I were supposed to go taste testing with a bunch of chefs for the club."

Elizabeth: "Sounds like an episode of the bachelor."

Laurel: "That's what I said when he asked me."

I manage to get a smile from her before she continues.

Laurel: "Anyway, I got a call from...a work contact-"

Elizabeth: "You hesitated. Who called you?"

Laurel: "It was the vigilante. Before you say anything, I know he's killed people before, but he's helped me on a few cases in the past."

I sigh, realizing what the problem she's getting to is.

Elizabeth: "It's alright, Laurel. Continue."

Laurel: "He had evidence for me for a case I am currently working on, and I went to meet with him. Unfortunately, it was when Tommy and I were supposed to have the chef's tasting. My father had an army of men pointing guns in my face, using me as bait to get to the vigilante. When I tried to talk to Tommy about it, he got mad at me for working with the vigilante and left. My father also took the phone I use to contact the vigilante."

She's in tears as she finishes. I give her a knowing, sad smile as I try to comfort her.

Elizabeth: "Laurel, I know how hard this must be. Tommy will get over this, but I think his issue is that you could've gotten seriously hurt doing this. I don't know how I can help in this situation other than telling you I can understand why you would work with the vigilante."

She holds her breath while looking stunned at me.

Laurel: "You do?"

Elizabeth: "Of course. A few months ago, right before Oliver found out about Hannah, the vigilante saved Tommy, Oliver, and me from some kidnappers. Who knows what would've happened if he hadn't? For all I know, all three of us could've died that day without the vigilante. Around Christmas, he saved a bunch of hostages from a dangerous archer who would kill them. From what I've seen in the news, the only people the vigilante has really been going after have been some horrible people. I believe what you are doing is actually right, Laurel. The vigilante is a hero, in my opinion."

She smiles and hugs me almost instantly.

Laurel: "Thank you for understanding, Elizabeth. I'm so happy you understand where I'm coming from."

Elizabeth: "Of course. You can always talk to me. Tommy will come around eventually."

As we separate from our hug, her doorbell rings, so she gets up to answer it.