Chapter 12

It's been about a week since my run-in with Oliver, and I received an invitation last night to a dinner party from Moira and Walter

It's been about a week since my run-in with Oliver, and I received an invitation last night to a dinner party from Moira and Walter. Stephanie agreed to watch Hannah so my father and I could go together.

Knocking on the door, Thea is the one to let us in.

Thea: "Liz, Malcolm, please come in. Mom and Walter are through there."

She points to the living room.

Malcolm: "Thank you, Thea."

He walks past her as I come in and hang back with her.

Elizabeth: "How is it so far?"

Thea: "Oh, you know how these things go. Dinner party with some big muckety-mucks."

Elizabeth: "Right. Can't say I'm looking forward to this."

Thea: "Yeah, but at least we are in it together."

Elizabeth: "Of course, so that we can make the usual faces at each other."

We giggle before joining our parents and their friends. Once we finally go into the dining room, Thea leaves, and I am stuck between my father and a man whom I only know through my father and constantly forget his name. Oliver joins us, sitting across from my father while conversing about the vigilante.

Commissioner: "The thing that people forget is that Robin Hood was a criminal."

?: "And stealing from the rich to give to the poor is the job of the Democrats."

The man's comment makes all of us chuckle. God, I don't want to be here. Thea is lucky she managed to escape.

Elizabeth: "I don't mind the idea of a Robin Hood figure being around. As long as he sticks to those who deserve it."

I notice a look from Oliver and my father, although I have no idea why they are looking at me.

Malcolm: "All joking aside, commissioner, crime is down for the first time in five years."

Commissioner: "That's because of the changes my department has implemented.

Walter: "Or perhaps it's because the vigilante's activities have had a chilling effect on the city's criminals."

Malcolm: "What are your thoughts, Oliver."

Oliver: "I think the vigilante needs a better codename than 'The Hood' or 'The Hood Guy.'"

Everyone at the table laughs. I can't help but agree with his thought.

Elizabeth: "Those are pretty terrible names."

Malcolm: "I agree. How about Green Arrow?"

Oliver: "Lame."

Elizabeth: "Maybe leave off the Green part, Dad. The Arrow sounds more appropriate."

I take a sip of my wine as Oliver gives me a look, and then Walter's phone starts ringing. He sighs as he sees who is calling him. 

Walter: "Forgive me. It's the office. Excuse me."

He leaves as he answers his phone. Not long after, a police officer comes in and whispers something to the commissioner.

Commissioner: "I'm sorry. Something's come up."

He gets up.

Oliver: "Is everything okay?"

Commissioner: "The vigilante has struck again. He just put an arrow in Adam Hunt."

As he leaves, Oliver's phone starts vibrating.

Oliver: "I really do need to take this call. It's my contractor. Excuse me."

Moira: "Of course."

He leaves, and I look around at everyone's reactions before joking.

Elizabeth: "So, who's next?"

Everyone chuckles. It's easy for everyone at this table to understand the importance of having a call to take thanks to all of our jobs, luckily for the three who left.

After dinner, I return home to find Hannah asleep in her room and Stephanie on the couch watching tv. I pour two glasses of wine before joining her.

Stephanie: "So, how was dinner?"

Elizabeth: "Oh, you know, dinner with rich people. Some have to leave cause business calls. Including Oliver."

Stephanie: "Of course."

She makes a face like 'go figure.'

Elizabeth: "Yeah."

We talk for a while, laughing and drinking wine together.

The next day, I was in my office with a lot of paperwork to catch up on when Stephanie came in with a mischievous smile.

Elizabeth: "What are you up to, Steph?"

Stephanie: "You are asking the wrong question. You have a surprise visitor."

She opens the door more as I give her a curious look before Oliver appears in the doorway.

Oliver: "Thank you, Stephanie."

Stephanie: "No problem at all. Have fun, you two."

I give her a look as she smirks and shuts the door. With a sigh, I put my papers down and looked up at Oliver.

Elizabeth: "What are you doing here, Oliver?"

Oliver: "Well, I know we need to talk, and I was pretty sure you would miss lunch. So I came to have lunch with you."

Elizabeth: "That's thoughtful of you, but I'm too busy for lunch."

He pulls a bag from behind him.

Oliver: "And that's why I brought lunch to you. Big Belly Burger."

Elizabeth: "How could I possibly refuse?"

He gives me a cheeky smile as he sits on the couch and gestures for me to join him. I walk over as he passes me my food.

Oliver: "There is another reason I stopped by today."

Elizabeth: "And what would that be?"

Oliver: "I wanted to invite you to the Queen Christmas Party tomorrow night personally. It's my way of giving back to my family and friends. Will you please join me there?"

Elizabeth: "Of course, I'll join you. It's been quite a while since one of those happened."

Oliver: "Yes, Thea told me. That's why I am throwing it."

Elizabeth: "It will be Hannah's first."

Oliver: "I'm glad I can attend her first Christmas party."

Elizabeth: "Me too."

I kiss his cheek and eat my lunch with him.