Chapter 20

(A/N) Hey everyone, sorry this took so long. I've been under a lot of stress and had major writer's block. This chapter is short, mostly because I love where I ended it. I will update again very soon, though. Thank you for your patience and for reading my fanfiction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am drinking my tea, trying to calm my nerves while waiting to hear from Detective Lance. Tommy and I decided to go into the coffee shop next to the Police Department to try and calm ourselves, but it's not working well.

Elizabeth: "I should've been able to protect her. Why couldn't I have just grabbed an umbrella?"

Tommy: "Hey, I know you did everything you could. You can't do this to yourself. If anyone is to blame, it's me. I should've been there. At least you fought for her."

I look up at my brother to see his face full of worry.

Elizabeth: "Tommy, there's nothing you could've done. I was there, but I failed to protect her. It's my fault she's gone."

He puts his hand on my arm.

Tommy: "Don't take the blame. You defended her the best you could. You can't beat a Taser. Lance will bring her back. We have to have faith in him."

Elizabeth: "You're right. He will make it in time, and we will see her again. She's tough. Laurel will make it back alive."

We make eye contact, and I know he and I are thinking the same thing. We are hoping we are right and Vanche won't kill her.

Finally, after an hour, Tommy gets a phone call and immediately answers it.

Tommy: "Detective Lance, is she okay? Please tell me you found her in time."

I almost shed tears of relief when Tommy sighs and relaxes before thanking Lance and hanging up.

Tommy: "She's okay. Laurel is alive and at the station."

Elizabeth: "We should go over there now."

We find Laurel in the parking lot when we arrive, and Tommy immediately runs to her. They hug and forgive each other before I join them and embrace Laurel.

Elizabeth: "Laurel, I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you."

Laurel: "I'm fine, Lizzy. It's not your fault. I'm so glad you're here. I thought he must have done something to you as well."

We go our separate ways, and when I walk in the door, I hug Hannah as if it's the last time I'll ever see her. It very well could've been exactly that, and I can't bear the thought that one day I might not be there to protect her. I can't lose her like I did Liam. I just can't.

I finally let her out of my embrace, and she pulls me over to the couch, wanting me to watch the Aristocats with her.

Elizabeth: "Hold on, honey. I need to make a phone call, and I swear, I will watch the movie with you right after. Okay?"

Hannah: "Okay."

Stephanie comes in with a bowl of popcorn, and when she sees me, she has a look of concern on her face.

Stephanie: "Is everything okay?"

Elizabeth: "Yes, I just need to make a phone call."

She nods, and I go outside, clicking on the contact I need. It rings two times before he picks up.

E - Hey, Dad. Could we talk?

~~~

The next day, I dropped off Hannah with Tommy and Laurel for the day before meeting my father at the coffee shop.

I find him sitting at a table by the window and sitting across from him. I can see the hope in his eyes when he spots me.

Malcolm: "Elizabeth, thank you for agreeing to see me."

Elizabeth: "Dad, I won't forgive you for what you tried to do with Mom's free clinic, and that is not why I called you. I could use your help, though."

Malcolm: "How can I help you, sweetheart? Are you in some trouble?"

Elizabeth: "I'm fine. Last night I was with Laurel when we were attacked. I felt so helpless. I was defeated and lost consciousness because the man had a taser, and he kidnapped Laurel."

Malcolm: "I will find that son of a bitch, and he will suffer. Are you alright?"

Elizabeth: "I'm okay. Detective Lance got Laurel back and locked him up. But I need your help. I've seen your moves, and I want you to train me. I don't want to feel weak anymore. I need to be able to protect Hannah and everyone I care about. I need your help to do so."

Malcolm: "Alright. I'll begin training you immediately."