Chapter 18

After the trial, I could tell Thea and Oliver needed time to figure things out, so I took Hannah home for a movie marathon. Stephanie ended up coming over too. Hannah is in the living room while Stephanie and I are in the kitchen.

Stephanie: "So, what happened? How is Thea holding up?"

Elizabeth: "Honestly, I have no idea. I hope she can get through this."

Stephanie: "I'm sure she'll be fine. Especially with Oliver watching over her."

Elizabeth: "I hope so too. I don't know how I would ever be able to explain where Thea went if Hannah were to ask."

Stephanie: "Yeah, that sounds like a difficult topic. How is Oliver handling it?"

Elizabeth: "Well, you know, Ollie. He's always been protective of his sister. He seems so scared for Thea. He's out there trying to do whatever he can for her."

Stephanie: "He's a great big brother."

Elizabeth: "Yeah, he always has been. It makes me wonder what our son would've been like."

I see Hannah singing and dancing to Once Upon a December from Anastasia.

Stephanie: "Have you told Oliver about Liam?"

Elizabeth: "No. I have no idea how to bring up something like that. What am I supposed to say? 'Hey Ollie, I actually had twins, not just Hannah, and the other one died.' You can't just drop a bomb like that."

Stephanie: "Yeah, I have no clue how to approach that subject, but it is something he has the right to know about."

Elizabeth: "Besides, with everything going on right now, it isn't the best time to tell him about it. He has enough on his plate."

We both finish our wine, and as I set my glass down, I hear my daughter's voice.

Hannah: "Mommy, who is Liam?"

I almost choke on my wine before I reply.

Elizabeth: "Someone who is a sensitive topic. I'll tell you when you're older."

Hannah: "Why not now? How come you won't tell Daddy?"

I bend down to her height as I lay a hand on her shoulder.

Elizabeth: "Hannah, with everything going on right now, Daddy doesn't need more news that would make him sad. You don't want Daddy to be sad, do you?"

She quickly shakes her head no.

Elizabeth: "To do that, we can't say a word about Liam around him. Okay, honey?"

Hannah: "I promise, Mommy."

I hug her.

Elizabeth: "I promise I will tell you one day. Just wait a while, okay?"

Hannah: "Okay."

I kiss her cheek, and she goes back into the living room. I let out a big sigh and turned to see Stephanie looking at me with pity.

Stephanie: When do you plan to tell her?"

Elizabeth: "Maybe in 10 years. For now, do you have any good news for me?"

Stephanie: "Not sure. Does your dad calling me count?"

I groan as I pour another glass of wine.

Elizabeth: "No. If he calls again, I'm unavailable no matter what happens."

Stephanie: "And why is that? Didn't you have dinner with him and Tommy?"

Elizabeth: "Yes, but it was a ruse so he could get our signature to close down our mother's free clinic."