Chapter 1

February 26, 2010

She hated funerals.

"Do we really have to go?" asked the girl, her legs on the dashboard of the car.

"Yes, we do," said her father, pointing at the mansion at the end of the road. "We won't stay long. We'll be back in Florida before you know it."

"I just wish you'd tell me the real reason we're here," she muttered. "He didn't even talk to us. It would have been nicer to arrive tomorrow, when it'd just be Tyler and Aunt Carol. Not all these people we don't know and will be forced to talk to."

"Ro," said Mason Lockwood sternly. "If I could tell you, I would. But I can't trust that you're safe knowing the truth."

"I'll get the information out of you somehow," she said. "You know I will. I've uncovered all of your secrets. I found out you were dating someone, and I didn't even have to ask Stevie about it. I found out you were a werewolf before you admitted it to me yourself. The only thing I've yet to find out is why you refuse to let me meet this 'Kathy' you're dating. Stevie already told me she's a vampire. If she really likes you, she wouldn't hurt your only kid, would she?"

"I'm not ready for you to meet her yet," said Mason, shaking his head. "It's just been the two of us for a long time. Until I'm one-hundred-percent sure that she and I will be a real, long-term thing, I don't want to introduce anyone into your life."

"I'll be nineteen in less than two months," she said pointedly. "I'm working most of the time. I don't care if she is or isn't going to be my stepmom. I just want to know why Stevie keeps telling me to get her away from you."

Mason snorted. "Don't know why you listen to Stevie."

She shrugged. "He's my friend. All of the wolves are. And if they think something is off, then I want to meet her myself and figure out what it is that they're so worried about."

He pulled into the driveway, and the girl went silent, glaring at all the people drifting in and out of the mansion. "I can't even remember when we last came here."

"You were eleven, Tyler was ten," said Mason. "But the last time Richard sent me a Christmas card with a family picture on it was when Tyler was thirteen... I think. Or twelve. Let's go with twelve."

He parked the car, and they hopped out, both wearing button-ups. The girl's was unbuttoned, and hanging loosely over a grey crop top. She was still wearing shorts and sandals, despite the weather being much colder here. She'd get used to it. And if she got cold, she had sweaters packed.

"So, the black sheep returns," said a boy on the steps as they walked to the main entrance.

"Tyler?" asked Mason, smiling at his nephew. He nodded. "What happened to you? In my mind, you're twelve years old."

He smiled good-naturedly. "Then that's two years older than the last time you saw me, Uncle Mason." He pulled him into a hug.

"Good to see you again," said Mason.

"It's good to see you, too," said Tyler. He grinned at his cousin. "Told you I'd catch up to you, Rosie."

"You're barely my height," the girl replied, ruffling his hair. "I told you that we wouldn't reach six feet. We're destined to be three inches too short."

"Still taller than most people," said Tyler. "Come on inside." He led them into the living room, where his mother was speaking with some of the townspeople. "Hey, Mom. They're here."

Carol turned, and gasped in delight. "Oh, let me look at you," she said, coming to the girl and cupping her face. "You are beautiful, Rosalind."

"It's good to see you again, Aunt Carol," said Rosalind, allowing her to hug her.