Chapter 34

Klaus found her on the couch.

"There were many rooms for you to choose from," he said, nudging her awake. "I wouldn't even have minded if you slept in my bed. Why the couch?"

"Didn't have the strength to go upstairs," said Rosalind, turning onto her side. "I just feel like crap."

He sat with her. "Because of the hybrids?"

She nodded. "I feel like a part of me just got chopped out. And it keeps happening... over and over again. To the point where I wonder if there's going to be anything left in another year. I mean, this past one alone has been unbearable. Maybe in a year's time I'll have my humanity off and I'll be chewing out people's hearts for fun."

Klaus hummed. "I am sorry about Dean and Nate. I did not think to add anything else to restrain Connor; I had no idea he'd be so strong. And I had never even heard of a weapon that could blow someone's heart out of their chest with one shot."

"He took that hit for me," said Rosalind weakly. "And Nate stayed the night with Connor so that I could get some rest. I'm not leaving this house. I'm staying with the hybrids so that they're safe. I'm not losing any more."

"You cannot stay here. You'll drive yourself mad. Come on. Walk with me."

"Walk where?"

"In the forest. Come with me."

Reluctantly, she followed him out after a quick shower. He led her through the backyard, into the trees, all through parts of the woods she didn't recognize.

"Why did you want Connor back alive?" she asked after a long period of silence. "Tell me the truth. It can't just be because of the map."

He sighed. "The Hunters have this curse attached to them. They were spelled by witches to kill vampires, thus if you prevent one from fulfilling his destiny, then he'll take you down with him. If any of you would have killed him, you would have ended up as his final vampire kill."

"Wait a minute. Didn't you say you killed—?"

"The original five?" he offered. "Yes. And I was cursed, for fifty-two years, four months, and nine days. I was tormented, in my dreams, my every waking moment, relentless, never-ending torture. It was the only period of my life when I actually felt time. Eventually it just stopped. The hallucinations tend to appear in strange forms. They encouraged me to kill myself. Problem is, I'm immortal."

She frowned. "And you endured that for over half a century?" He nodded. "Klaus, I'm sorry. I wish you would have mentioned that, though. And I think you should tell the hybrids. They're guarding him right now. They're furious because he killed two of our own, so if he tries to escape again, they might just kill him outright. It's better if they know what they're risking."

Klaus pressed his tongue to the inside of his cheek. "I suppose. We've walked far enough, let's go back. Do you feel better?"

"No," she said. "But it's nice knowing the truth."

The house was quiet as they walked downstairs toward the cellar. They found it odd. As they approached, rushed and worried whispers sounded. "What's going on?" asked Klaus sharply when he saw the hybrids. "Where is—?"

"Oh," whispered Rosalind, eyes wide when she saw Chris holding Connor's heart. "What... what did you do?"

"He was talking crap about Dean and Nate," said Jo meekly. "He was trying to escape and... I-I told Chris to just kill him."

Rosalind looked over at Klaus, her eyes sparkling with frustrated tears. "I need a minute," she said, her voice cracking as she rushed off.

She could hear the hybrids all yelling at each other when she left, accusing one another that they were at fault for hurting her feelings. Klaus snarled for them to shut up and stay put. Rosalind heard him following after her, and she tried to vamp-speed further away, but he caught her.