Chapter 38

The day was filled with guilty pleasures.

At least, they should have been extremely guilty pleasures. But Rosalind felt no guilt. So instead, it was just her finding ways to please herself at the expense of innocent people.

She started her day off with driving into Charlottesville to party at a bar and feed on several locals while drinking through half the bar's liquor supply. She hooked up with a waitress in the bar bathroom and left her a significant tip for being so sweet.

She had lunch (pasta and a musician) at a small restaurant beneath a group of trees. She was honestly surprised no one had called yet to bother her. Maybe it meant they'd listened and would be leaving her alone.

But when she got back to Mystic Falls before dinner, she found that they'd been held up for a different reason.

"Rebekah's awake?" she asked in disbelief when Klaus was explaining everything over a shared glass of blood.

"Apparently that idiot girl April Young woke her," he grumbled. "And then, the first thing the little brat did was kidnap the entire friend group to torment them. Compelling them to answer questions and say cruel things to one another. You'll be pleased to know Kol's in town. He apparently took the white oak stake from Rebekah after failing to kill that ridiculous Professor who appears to know far too much about the Brotherhood of the Five."

"Why would Kol want to kill the Professor?" said Rosalind.

"Because of Silas. Apparently Kol is quite superstitious when it comes to that. He's being foolish. And he is attempting to halt all attempts to find the cure."

"Well, from our end, they are halted," said Rosalind, narrowing her eyes. "Unless you, me, and Kol find it for ourselves."

Klaus made a face. "And why the bloody hell would we do something like that? You wanted it for your girlfriend, and—"

She stabbed the nearest object— a fake flower— into his hand, causing him to grow in pain. "Strike one," she said flatly, "don't call Elena my girlfriend because she means nothing to me."

She ripped the flower stem out and motioned for him to continue his train of thought.

Klaus did his best to conceal a scowl. "There is no reason to want it. Why would you care to find it?"

"You think I haven't considered what the others in the group might do to get my humanity back on?" she asked, lacing her fingers together. "They could ram the cure down my throat to turn me mortal. They could kidnap me and put me in the Salvatore or Forbes or Lockwood cellars to bleed me dry and torture me. I'm not going to let that happen. If I find the cure, I can decide what happens with it. Anyway, tell me more about this Professor Shane guy. Anything you found out that I don't already know?"

He nodded slowly. "He was the one who orchestrated the Young Farm explosion and the one who convinced that Hayley girl to trick Tyler. He is the reason the hybrids were all killed. There had to be twelve for the sacrifice. He also happens to be in possession of Silas's tombstone—"

She held up her hand. "I don't need to hear any more. I've decided I'll kill Shane, right after I suck out all the information I can from that well-informed little brain. If Kol is afraid of Silas, surely we can get the cure separately." She stood up. "I need you to find out where your brother is staying. I'm going to pay him a visit."

"And where are you off to now?" he asked as he typed a message to Kol. "I haven't given you a location."

She smirked. "I'm off to kill Stefan. I'm bored and I've always wanted to kill him. I really don't think my dislike for him will ever be solved even with my humanity and I despise him too much for hate sex to ever be an option for reconciliation, so... I'm going to give him that hybrid bite I've been promising him. You're not allowed to heal him if he comes begging."