Chapter 56

Rosalind chained him to a chair.

She lit a candle and periodically poured some hot wax on his hands while she waited for him to wake up, building up the layers over his fingers and essentially sticking his palms to the chair, immobile.

She'd reattached his head and put his heart back in his chest, humming to herself while Ruby and Bonnie sat on the couch, staring at her in disbelief. Ruby seemed to want to avert her gaze, but simply couldn't.

"There we go," cooed Rosalind as he started to twitch, his eyelids fluttering until he awoke completely. "Hello there."

"Kinky," said Kai, glancing down at his hands. He tugged, realizing he couldn't easily move them. "I always did want to get wax play off of my sexual bucket list..."

"Hmm..." Rosalind leaned over him, holding the armrests. "I don't think you're going to like the way I play."

He tilted his head back to look at her. "My type of girl. My guess is the feeling is mutual?"

She scrunched up her nose, faking pity. "I'm not attracted to men. Sucks for you. Things will get much more sucky unless you answer my questions."

"An answer for an answer," prompted Kai. "I ask first. Who are you?"

"Rosalind," she replied. "Vampire-wolf hybrid sired by Niklaus Mikaelson, the Original Hybrid himself. He also happens to be my best friend. See, my bite won't hurt you beyond some blood loss, but the rest of me is just as lethal. Question one... how did you know we were here?"

He glanced at Ruby. "She has your face. And the same name you gave to your kid. My guess is, this is her."

Ruby blew air out of her mouth and stared at the floor. "Maybe."

"That's a yes. Hmm. So, this proves you would pull off brown hair, Ru-Ru."

"I told you I had it for a long time."

"You had no evidence, I couldn't trust you were telling the truth."

Rosalind dug a finger into his arm, making him turn his attention back to her. "Thank you," she said, withdrawing her finger and using the blood to trace an 'R' on his forehead. "Answer my question."

"Gut feeling," he said. "Started to head here and I came across some magical objects. Did the one spell I made when we came here... one that would let me count how many people were present in this world. I counted three dots in Mystic Falls." He nodded to Ruby. "Her idea, actually. Your mommy knows a lot about magic for someone who isn't a witch. Do they know about us, Ru-Ru?"

"Don't need to know," said Rosalind, assuming that they must have slept together once or twice, out of hatred and boredom. "All I care about is the fact you hurt her, and now, I'm going to hurt you."

"Nice way to bond with your kid," commented Kai. "Have her torture anyone that lays a finger on you."

"I didn't ask her to do this," noted Ruby. "But it's surprisingly comforting."

"Ruby and I aren't very similar in our ideas for punishing people," said Rosalind, scraping her nail hard enough on his cheek that it split open. "She's a good vampire, like my girlfriend and another friend of mine. They're perfect examples of what vampires should be. Me? I have a lot of bad parts. I'm the prime example of what vampires shouldn't be. And nowadays, I let them shine instead of suppressing them. You'll get to be the lucky recipient if you don't comply. Your turn to ask a question."

Kai ran his tongue over the inside of his cheek, causing more blood to leak out of where she cut him. "Who's your companion?"

Rosalind glanced at Bonnie. "My friend, we'll call her 'B' for now. What were your intentions for us?"