What Kinda Explaining?...

46

ALEX

Shawn is right there leaning against his car staring at my face while some of the players from the soccer team and some girls are standing around him in a roughly circular formation talking amongst themselves loudly.

Even though they are talking loudly amongst themselves, I can't exactly register what they are talking about because almost all of my consciousness is focusing on Shawn, the asshole who said that he'd be more caring and romantic about me, but then didn't call me or send me any texts which were more than three words at a stretch.

I hear Cain's footsteps stop beside me.

I manage to stop staring at Shawn and look to my right and see Cain looking at me with a questioning look on his face.

I widen my eyes and my eyebrows simultaneously move up with the movement of my eyes. I return him the questioning look not having any clue what he is trying to ask me about.

"Why did you stop?" Cain asks.

I realize now that I had abruptly stopped walking, my attention caught by Shawn's eyes on me.

"Oh sorry." I reply.

I continue my walk to the exit gate of the school campus and I can also hear Cain's footsteps continue following me.

I keep looking at the ground while I'm walking, partly out of habit and partly out of being super-nervous about seeing Shawn after I spent pretty much my entire day procrastinating about all the probable reasons why Shawn could not want to talk to me again.

Should I go say hi?

Should I wait for him to say hi to me?

Should I just go and ask him why he didn't even try to contact me one entire day and when I texted him the next day, he sent me super-stupid replies which made me question my entire existence?

He would probably think that I'm too dramatic and not want to talk to me for the rest of my life.

That would be much more horrible than him not talking to me for a day.

OMG, I want to punch myself in the side of head right now.

My head feels like a watermelon a second away from exploding from the super-high pressure being built inside because of the insane amount of stupid, irrational and negative thoughts that are running through it within a second disturbingly fast and uncontrollably.

"So that's it? You're not even gonna say hi?" Shawn's voice says.

I stop walking again and I turn face towards the direction from which Shawn's voice had come.

I notice that I am now standing closer to the exit gate and hence, a bit farther away from the parking area but still within the hearing range of his voice which is why I hear him clearly.

My lips automatically form a smile.

"Hi" I say in a voice which he should be able to hear.

Shawn smiles back.

God, I look so desperate.

He should be the one to say hi after not initiating a conversation with me for two days, face-to-face or via a phone.

"Both of you, you can join us if you want to." a familiar voice says.

I notice the guy beside Shawn, still in a soccer jersey, like Shawn and the other players standing with them.

It's Luke.

I look at Cain, who is standing behind me because he was following me out of the school while walking behind me.