you wont let it bend

genes pov
tuesday

as we're leaving felix's treehouse, louise says "ok do we have everything?" probably more talking to herself but then she says "shit i forgot my bag let me go get it. you guys go to the wall." louise tends to curse more infront of us than mom and dad but even then it's still minor curse words. me and the twins were at the wall for around 5 minutes when she still hasn't come back. "she's still not back let's go see what happened." i told andy and ollie. when we get closer i can see her body on the ground when i start sprinting. "LOUISE?" i get up close and her eyes are closed. she's breathing but i see some blood from the back of her head. "louise? please wake up please please i can't do this." at this point andy and ollie are kneeled down next to her too. i put louise's head on my lap hoping the blood will stop and i hand the bag to the twins "andy, ollie there's a phone in the bag. find it and call 911. tell them we're at felix fishoeders house and louise fell off a ladder." surprisingly they do it with no trouble which is nice they're capable. i can feel tears going down my cheek when i hear sirens. "andy hand me the phone so i can call mom and dad." i tell him. the phone says it's 5:15 pm which means the restaurant is still open. i dial the number but i can hardly breathe. tina answers "bobs burgers how can i help you?" she says. "tina tina its louise. she, she fell you need to bring-" i started gasping for air this cant be happening oh no. "gene? gene honey what's wrong?" i hear mom over the phone. "mom you guys have to come to the fishoeders house. it's louise she's hurt." i don't even know if she understood me i feel like i'm suffocating. "mom mom the ambulance is here you gotta come." i had to hang up to talk to the paramedics. they were in a rush but one asked me what happened. i stuttered out that i wasn't there but she was on the ground and unconscious when i came back. then she asked about my parents and i said i had called them to come here. the paramedic said "we're going to seymour hospital, when your parents get here tell them where we went and to meet us there. it's gonna be ok kid well save her." and she ran off getting back in the ambulance. andy and ollie are crying too but not nearly as much as me. mom dad and tina arrive shortly after the paramedics leave. "oh gene baby what happened? are you ok? my baby." mom asks. ollie intervenes for me. "louise fell off of a ladder." "yeah and 911 took her." andy added. "they, they took her to seymour bay. they want us to meet them there." i told mom. "ok baby come on let's go. it's ok." i can sort of breathe again, and my tears are dry. we end up taking the twins with us because we have no time to take them home. on the way mom calls pesto and tells him the twins are sleeping over so we don't have to deal with his ridicule. dad would have done it but he was the one driving. he hasn't said anything but i can see his eyes are watery in the mirror. tina keeps trying to ask me questions about what happened and what we were doing there but i just can't answer her. what we did was just harmless fun so why did something so bad happen? i can't stop thinking i could have stopped it. i mean i know if i say that i'll get told "it's not your fault it's ok." but it's not ok and everyone knows that. i keep fearing the worst but i was there you'd think i would know the most she's ok. she was breathing up until the paramedics came so she should be alive. unless she's not. dad drops us off at the entrance while he finds a place to park. when we get to the desk mom asks "we're louise belchers family, she just got here a while ago, can you tell us where she is?" the lady at the desk looks her up on the computer and she says "right now she's undergoing some tests you will need to stay here in the waiting room until a doctor comes to get you." we find a place to sit, waiting for dad to come back. it takes him about 10 minutes to find us. mom gives dad the update on what's going on, after dad turns to me; "gene, tell us exactly what happened." and so i tell them. i tell them about our plan to sneak into felix's house after louise heard he wouldn't be home. i tell them how we messed around inside and after she forgot her bag, so me and the twins went to the exit to wait. i tell them how it took to long for her to come back and i went to find her and she was on the ground bleeding. i told them about the 911 call and the paramedics questioning. and by the end of it i was back in tears. "gene its ok im so glad you called us. its not your fault its ok." mom says while hugging me and trying to calm me down. "gene why would you agree to do that? you're in 7th grade now you should have known not to let her talk you into that again." dad said. i didn't answer i just looked away. he's right why did i agree. was it an attempt to escape my own brain? i mean what if it was me? or even one of the twins, let alone both. should i blame myself? or her, for continuing to use her tricks on us? for getting herself hurt? or maybe i could have done something different. it felt like i was only thinking for a couple minutes but it turns out we were in the waiting room for 2 hours before a doctor came to get us.