cuts are deeper than they seem

genes pov
                                  tuesday

as were walking towards louise's room the doctor explains her condition "we did multiple tests on louise, CTS, MRIS, EKGS, and others. so far she's breathing on her own but when we go in you'll see she has an IV in for fluids so she doesn't dehydrate and an oxygen tube. luckily she didn't have a brain bleed or hemorrhage but she has a very severe concussion. right now she's in a coma and we except her to wake up but not for a few weeks. concussions take a long time to heal from and with her body under all this stress she may not wake up until it gets better. we aren't sure if she can hear you but we suggest you be quiet just in case. the best way to describe what's happening is like a very severe headache. when she wakes up she may have impaired eye sight, hearing or memory but there's no way to know until she wakes up. and here she is, a nurse will bring you her clothes soon. you guys can stay here for the night if you like, i'll leave you alone for some time unless you have questions?" no one said anything so the doctor walked away. louise was in a hospital gown with bandages on her head. it was so weird to see her without her ears on but i know even if we had them she probably wouldn't be able to wear them. in a way she looks at peace. when dad sees her he completely breaks down, he's pretty strong for making it all this time without falling this low. tina doesn't cry she just stares at louise all the way until tina gets to a seat. andy and ollie keep calling her name trying to make her wake up. i whisper to them "guys remember what the doctor said? don't be so loud." "sorry." came from both ollie and andy. mom is sitting next to dad also crying but trying to comfort him. i don't know how to feel would it have been better if she died? i mean this could be her life now just these machines. i know the doctor said she's expected to wake up but i've seen enough TV to know something can still go wrong even in this state. and how long are we practically gonna be living here in this hospital? and school i don't even wanna think about it. when i look over andy and ollie are doing some sort of hand shake. how does louise stand these two? i mean they are her friends but still. i don't bother stopping them it's not like they're being a bother.

genes pov
wednesday
i fell asleep last night but i don't remember when. all i know is getting woken up by a nurse coming in to change louises IV. so far only the kids are awake, mom and dad are still asleep on each other's shoulders. there's no clock so i have no clue what time it is. tina whispers "we should go get breakfast, while mom and dad sleep. i think i know where the cafeteria is." i nod at her and poke the twins, signaling for them to come with us. i don't think tina really knew where the cafeteria was because it took like 10 minutes to find it. the cafe didn't have much but we all ended up eating eggs and bagels. andy and ollie were throwing butter at each other and getting greasy, it's gross. when we had gone back upstairs mom and dad were awake. "where were you guys? we were worried." dad asked. "we were eating in the cafeteria." i answered. "kids let's go in the waiting room so we can talk." mom told us. when we moved there mom, dad and tina were on one side with me and the twins on the other side. "look kids, we're gonna be here awhile so me and your mom think we should go home. we can take andy and ollie home, shower, change and maybe just take a break? i know it hasn't been long already but we all need a chance to process this and the hospital isn't the best place to do it. the doctor said she wouldn't wake up for atleast a few weeks so i promise we won't miss her waking up. and gene, tina you don't have to go to school for the rest of week. well call the school and tell them what happened. i mean don't you guys wanna sleep in your own bed, last night wasn't the most comfortable thing.." dad said. "how can you think of comfort when your daughter is literally unconscious? what you think THATS comfortable? what it sounds like is you're abandoning her." tina questioned. she seemed mad, but not at dad i suppose. "tina honey no. we aren't abandoning her, not even louise would want us all here the whole time she's out. how about a compromise tina?" mom asked. "and what's that?" tina said. "how about your dad takes gene and the boys home and you and me stay? huh, about just some girl time, but then we have to go home tonight." mom answered. tina just hummed. leaving me dad andy and ollie in the car driving home. "andy, ollie? next time you wanna visit louise just come over and we will take you with us, i know you were there when it happened so it's fine." poppy "okays" came from the twins. when we got on our street the twins got out and both said "bye gene, bye gene, louise's and tina's dad!" how are those two so in sync, it's crazy. me and dad get out of the car and he starts talking. "ok gene i know you already ate so take a shower while i make myself some food, hospitals are very germy." i agreed mostly because it sounds nice to take a bath right now, i like baths, they're relaxing. the water is nice and warm when i get in, i could stay here forever. but eventually the water turns cold and i force myself to get out and change. i tell my dad i'm done and it's looks like he just finished eating his breakfast. "ok i'm gonna shower too now, you can watch tv or whatever you wanna do." dad sounds so defeated, it's sad especially with how much this shit happens. we're always getting hurt or something. i decide to just watch western tv until dad gets out. he sits on the couch with me but unsurprisingly falls asleep. i take this opportunity to take a nap in my bed, so i put a blanket on dad like the nice child that i am and go to bed.