Pilot

Giyuu grunted as his blade finally connected with the last demon's neck. He cut through with ease and sighed.

He looked around the little piece of forest right on the edge of a little town. It had been filled with around fifteen demons, all of which had been seemingly looking for something. Or someone.

His eyes landed on a small patch of blood. He walked over quickly and found a tiny little trail of blood droplets.

His feet guided him to the base of a tree where a small rabbit hole was well hidden. He bent down and looked inside. A small girl rested gently, clutching her bleeding arm. Large, green eyes stared at him.

The child tried to back deeper into the hole with a terrified whimper. He was quick to speak softly. "Hey it's okay.... I'm here to help you."

She sniffed. "Are the mean people gone?" She asked.

He nodded. "Yeah they're gone. You can come out now." He spoke in the kindest voice he could muster.

The small child gently scooted towards the opening and a head of blonde hair poked out. The child slowly stood up, leaning more onto one leg. He noted that her leg held a larger cut than her arm. How the demons hadn't found her was a miracle.

He gently picked the child up and set her on his hip. "Alright. Let's find your partlents and take you to a doctor-"

"No!" The child suddenly yelled, struggling. He caught her before he fell out of his arms.

"Hey hey hey! Calm down! What's wrong?" He soothed the child.

"Don't make me go back! Please!" The child buried her head in his neck. "Mommy will hurt me again!" He froze.

The child was sobbing loudly at this point. He began to gently rock her in his arms. Rage flickered in his mind. "Alright then little one..." he whispered. "You don't have to go back."

He began to slowly walk away from the town. "I'm going to take you to the wisteria house. They can help you with your arm and leg."

The child looked up slowly. "R-really?" He nodded.

"Yeah. And when you get better I'll take you to get ice cream! How does that sound?" He asked softly as he picked up the pace, careful of the girl's wounds.

She smiled widely, pain momentarily forgotten. "Yes please mister!" His face became a touch softer. Little kids were always the best to work with.

His crow flew low to stay beside him as he ran. The little girl looked up at it in shock. "Pretty birdie is next to us!" She cheered. He chuckled.

"This is Kanzaburo, my kasugai crow." The girl looked up.

"Kanza!" The crow let out a warble.

"Caw! This child is cute! Caw!" Giyuu let out a small laugh.

'Yeah she is.' He thought to himself as the wisteria house came into view. He picked up the pace just a little more, prompting a giggle from the little girl.

A little old woman met him at the entrance with a worried look. "Follow me. The doctor is already waiting." She walked swiftly with Giyuu following.

A young woman waited for him patiently. He set the little girl down on a bed and she got right to work, having him distract her with his crow. His crow did loops, flips and barrel rolls as the child watched in absolute glee. Giyuu comforted her when she had to get a few stitches on her leg. When the doctor was done, she gave the little girl a lollipop. 

"You did good little one! Now you be good for this kind man!" She said, mock seriousness. The little girl giggle and nodded. 

"I will!" She cheered. The woman smiled and turned to Giyuu. 

"Take care of this one. She's very bright." He nodded. 

"I'll do everything I'm able to and more."

The woman left after that and Giyuu picked the little girl up again. "Now then. I never got your name little one." He teased gently. She looked up happily. 

"My name is Hazuki!" He hummed. 'Leaf and moon?' He looked at her pale blonde hair and gentle green eyes. 'Fitting.'

"Well then Hazuki. Why don't we go to your new home?" He asked as softly possible.

"That would be nice mister...?" She looked up.

"Giyuu. You can call me Giyuu."