Small Changes

It had only been three weeks since Giyuu had taken Hazuki in. Three weeks were he realized how much having someone to care about could change him. He showed the little girl the kind side of him, something he thought he wasn't able to do anymore now that Sabito was gone. 

He took the girl out weekly for ice cream and finding things she enjoyed. He learned how to love again. His sensei, Urokodaki had visited him a few times after learning of the new child. he was quick to spoil her because he felt Giyuu was never going to give him grandchildren. 

Said man was enjoying the company of Tanjiro, who had come to visit Giyuu alongside Urokodaki. He was getting ready for final selection in a few weeks. He helped babysit when he was free and Giyuu had missions. Hazuki was worried for the sleeping Nezuko, who had yet to wake up despite the long duration of time.

Hazuki was still very quiet and meek however. She didn't want to cause trouble as she said her mommy used to hit her for being a 'bad girl.' That thought made Giyuu absolutely furious with whoever this child's mother is. He desperately wanted to learn the woman's name so that he could put her behind bars for child abuse and neglect. Hazuki began to gain some weight, making her small form look healthier. 

Giyuu loved everything about his little girl. Her eyes had the same look as Sabito's, her style was like Tsutako's and her hair was long, soft and easily manageable. He loved to sit down when she was still waking up and doing her hair in a multitude of styles. She also loved the feeling, seeing as it meant she was getting attention from her favorite person. 

He let her mess with his own hair, something no one had ever been allowed to. She always added a tiny braid into his hair that he would keep for days on end. When Tanjiro and Urokodaki left, he introduced her to the Kakushi. He would be having them care for her when needed. She was immediately doted on by almost all of them because of how adorable and sweet she was. 

Whenever he went on missions, she would always try to get him to stay with her. 

"Please Giyuu? Can you please stay with me today?" She whined with little tears in her eyes. He crouched down. 

"I'm sorry Hazuki but I can't do that. There are more of those mean people hurting others. I have to go and make sure that others are safe like you are! I'll be back before the sun rises in the morning okay?" He spoke gently, not wanting to set the little girl off. she slowly nodded, clearly disappointed. He smiled softly, not seeing the cooing Kakushi by the door. 

"Thank you Moonshine." He poked her head gently before standing, checking his blade. Hazuki hugged his leg tightly before letting go.

"Bye bye!" He waved over his shoulder before letting his cold mask slip onto his face. Kocho would be meeting him at the midway point. He sighed before taking the tiny braid out of his hair. He knew she would ask. He forced himself to hide any giveaways about Hazuki. He didn't want to the woman to be snooping in his personal life. 

When he caught sight of her, he forced himself to not groan in annoyance. One look and he could see that Shinobu was in a bad mood, meaning more pain for him. He closed off any semblance of emotion and walked over silently. 

"Took you long enough Tomioka-san~" Shinobu greeted. He just grunted and looked away, walking along the path their crows told them to take. He was keeping a sharp eye out while ignoring the constant attempts to get him to snap. He didn't want to be in a bad mood when he went home to Hazuki after all. 

Shinobu eventually stopped. Her gaze was resting on Tomioka as if he were an anomaly. Something was different. His eyes were softer. Shoulders less slouched over. He overall seemed healthier. Like he was doing it for someone. Her eyes searched the rest of his body before landing on the inside of his other palm. he seemed to have forgotten to wash it off as there was a little moon drawn with a little marker. It wasn't Tomioka's work.

She decided to drop it and just get their work done. They ended up being able to kill three demons that night as they had all been fighting over a dead carcass of a human. Disgust filled Giyuu as he sliced their heads off without mercy.

he dug a small grave for the body and Shinobu helped him bury them, giving a small prayer. He didn't want to stick with Shinobu anymore so he suggested that they split up and cover the rest of the town on their own. 

She agreed reluctantly, seeing an alternative reason for splitting up. He was acting different. Not colder, just more secretive. Like he was hiding something. She wanted to know what he had been hiding. So a quick few letters to the other hashira and they would be joining together to find out. 

Giyuu meanwhile sent his crow to tell Shinobu that he was done and going home. The mission had been much faster than he had thought, meaning he got to go see Hazuki early. He didn't even wait for Shinobu, just went home. 

He opened the front door to find it silent as a mouse. he smiled and walked to his room, sliding the door open. Hazuki was on his bed, curled into his pillows, waiting for him. He took His haori off and walked over quietly, leaving his shoes by the door. He slipped into bed and held his little girl to his chest, feeling her stir. 

Hazuki yawned as her eyes opened slightly. "Welcome back..." She yawned again. "Papa.." She drifted off to sleep again as Giyuu wiped his eyes, holding on a little tighter.

"Goodnight Hazuki."