The flame's visitor

Hazuki stared at the peaceful cat in her lap. The cat was gently nibbling on a peice of chicken while being pet.

She smiled and looked up. "Can I name her?" Giyuu smiled and nodded.

"Of course Moonshine." He spoke softly.

She looked at the cat. "I shall call you Mittens." She declared, hugging the cat after it finished eating.

Rengoku chuckled and rubbed her head. "That's a cute name little flame."

Giyuu pouted. "She's my Moonshine. Not little flame."

Rengoku smiled darkly. "Little flame is cuter."

"Like I care." Giyuu snapped.

They staged at each other before laughing loudly. Re gokul shook his head and picked up Hazuki, seeing her on his back, the cat jumping onto Giyuu's head.

He let her stay there as Mitsuri left for a mission and they went back to the flame estate.

They pushed the door open and were met with the rancid smell of alcohol. Giyuu tensed and moved Hazuki behind him as Shinjuro Rengoku walked in.

He paused at the sight of Hazuki and Giyuu. He looked at Kyojuro.

"Why are they here?" He asked.

Rengoku gulped. "They're staying here until Sanemi can leave them alone."

The man sighed and put his flask away. He walked into the kitchen and came out with trash bags.

"Help me get the alchohol out of here." He spoke coldly, surprising them all.

"Dad?"

Shinjuro sighed. ".... even I know that a little girl shouldn't see a grown man drunk around the house."

Giyuu smiled softly. "Thank you Rengoku-San."

The man nodded as he began to toss bottles into a bag. Kyojuro and Giyuu joined in, finding bottles long forgotten. Shinjuro smiled as Hazuki handed him a bottle she could hardly hold.

"You don't have to help kid. Just go sit down and play with that cat." He added, patting her head.

Senjiro walked in, tray with snacks on it. He smiled widely at Hazuki who cheered and hugged him, careful of the tray. He patted her head and they sat down.

The adults finished quickly and the kids had already fallen asleep on the couch peacefully. The smiled slightly and Shinjuro slipped away to his room.

The little cat, Mittens, was resting on Hazuki's stomach. Giyuu smiled and picked both up, Kyojuro grabbing Senjuro.

They walked to their rooms, setting the kids down and making sure that Shinjuro was okay with looking after both if they were to leave.

They went to the hot springs nearby and had a nice laugh. A few of the people there regarded them like monsters because of how close they were but they ignored it. Giyuu was starting to feel good again.

They went out and got dinner while still in amazing moods. Giyuu and him ended up getting home late and falling asleep in the guest bedroom together.

It was an amazing day.

Hazuki ended up sleeping beside her older cousin Senjuro for a little while as her Papa and Kyojuro were dead asleep.

She smiled contently. They were happy again.

Sanemi willed the tears to not fall. He had seen everything. He knew damn well that Giyuu would never love him again but it hurt to know that someone else might take his place.

He glanced at the ring in his palm. He had been planning to ask but he screwed up. Bad.

He wipes his tears and steeled his heart, knocking on the door to the flame estate. Kyojuro answered, face darkening.

"What are you doing here?" He demanded.

Sanemi sighed. "I need to talk to you." Kyojuro grunted and stepped outside, closing the door.

Sanemi held his hand out and dropped the ring into Kyojuro's palm. Kyojuro's eyes went wide.

"Why are you-"

"I was planning to ask him to marry me." Sanemi started. "But I messed up. And I know you'll probably take my place." He mumbled, tears threatening to fall again.

"I want you to take it. Give it to him if you ever think you're ready. Treat him the way I couldn't."

Kyojuro went to speak, regretful about how he had hit Sanemi now. Bit he was already gone. Sanemi had taken off, leaving one of the most beautiful rings he had ever seen in his possession.

Kyojuro bit his lip and tucked it away, silently thanking Sanemi for being understanding.

He went back inside and hid the ring in his mother's old jewelry box. He knew he might use it one day.

He glanced at the still sleeping form of Giyuu in his bed and smiled. He brushed a few hairs behind Giyuu's ears and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Good morning." He whispered, despite knowing the other man couldnt hear him.

He heard laughter in the living room and made his way out of the room, expecting to see Senjuro and Hazuki playing.

Instead he saw Akaza and Hazuki playing with her cat. He froze and made a move to grab his sword before Akaza laughed, twirling Hazuki.

"Mister Akaza why did you and Papa fight?" She asked as Kyojuro listened in.

"I had to. I wanted to get your Papa on my side but it's his job to fight me. He doesn't have to fight me if no one knows I'm here though." Akaza winked, glancing at Kyojuro.

His gaze softened. "I'll be right back Hazuki." He spoke softly, patting her head and getting up. Akaza walked up to his and went around him, opening the door to the bedroom Giyuu was in.

He sat down as Giyuu began to wake up.

"I think we all need to talk."