The Screwup

Hazuki waved goodbye to Hinatsuru as Giyuu carried her away from the sound estate. Only four weeks ago had they met yet the young girl adored her. They babysat for Giyuu for a few days and then he would be there to pick her up and take her home.

So far, none of the other hashira had discovered Giyuu's secret. Hazuki loved it. Whenever she went to her new aunties house they did fun things! She got to paint, do puzzles, train with a sword and kunais(not that they told Papa because he'd have heart attack).

When she heard of Tanjiro finally going to final selection, she had cried for hours. Giyuu managed to get out one sentence as to why she was crying.

"Onii-Chan could get hurt!" She had wailed. Giyuu calmed her by telling her that he was strong and would survive. He carried her to bed and she forced him to stay with her. When they got the letter that Tanjiro had in fact returned alive, they celebrated.

But someone was growing suspicious of the changes in the water hashira. Sanemi saw how he was acting. Going out more. Being less cold yet more secretive. Letting Uzui in on things that no one else knew. Something was off. So he began to follow the man. He didn't see anything out of the ordinary during missions. But when he got home, he would be greeted by a little girl. One who had blonde hair and green eyes. One who called him Papa. 

When Uzui came to visit, the girl called him 'Uncle Uzu'. Just what the hell had Tomioka done. He chose to stop being a stalker and just confront the man on their upcoming mission. They met up like normal with Tomioka seemingly dead inside.

The demons didn't stand a chance. They were cut down in seconds. Giyuu tried to leave fast to go and see Hazuki but Sanemi grabbed his arm tightly. 

"Shinuzagawa?" He asked, startled at the sudden grab. 

"Who is she?" He demanded.

"Huh?" Giyuu was very confused at that second.

"Who's that little girl that calls you her dad?" He demanded again. Giyuu winced.

'Damn it.'

He sighed and removed his arm from Sanemi's grasp. "That's my adopted daughter, Hazuki." He revealed. Sanemi paused. "I adopted her almost two months ago. Uzui helps out because he found out on accident and his wives adore her."

"And you didn't tell us?" He asked, a little hurt.

"She's a timid girl. I was afraid of what might happen around too many new people." He lied. That's not what he had been afraid of. He had been afraid of their words. What they might say about him being a father.

"Can I meet her?" Sanemi asked. He was curious to see how the child would react to him. Giyuu tensed. Was she ready? Was he ready? He looked at Sanemi. He was patiently waiting for an answer, no trace of the normal rage in his eyes. He steeled his nerves. 

"Of course. Just try not to raise your voice at her." Sanemi looked up and nodded. 

"I'll try my best." Giyuu paused before turning back to the town.

"But first I'm getting some food because I'm starving." Sanemi nodded and both grabbed some sushi to take on the road. They ate relatively fast and made it to the water estate a little after dawn.

Hazuki was already awake, a small breakfast in front of her. When she heard the door open, she abandoned said breakfast and ran to greet her father. She ran at him and hugged his legs. He stumbled a bit but caught the girl with a chuckle.

"Hazuki I want you to meet someone. This is Shinuzagawa Sanemi, one of the other hashira." He said, moving to the side. 

The blond stared up at Sanemi in a mixture of shock and wonder. Sanemi waited for the girl to be scared after seeing all of his scars. Instead, she suddenly hugged his leg.

"Eh?" he paused.

"Pretty man!" She cheered, looking up at Sanemi in wonder.

It took Sanemi half a second to turn red and look away. "Get off of me."

"No. I stay with pretty man." Giyuu snorted.

"Moonshine maybe you should let the pretty man go so he can walk." He said, trying not to laugh. Sanemi sent him a glare but relaxed when the little girl let go. He looked her over. Up close he could see the tiny hip in her tooth, the way her eyes had little flecks of gold, the almost silver sheen to her blond hair. She really was a cute kid.

He made up his mind and picked the child up, earning a cheer and a knowing look from Tomioka. He was about to spoil this child rotten. He ended up getting the girl an orange haori and a little mini demon slayer uniform so she could act like her dad. 

(Someone sent me this on my Instagram and I love it)

She looked adorable in the thing, something both males agreed on. Sanemi left that day with two new names; Pretty Man and Uncle Sanemi. Both of which he loved. Him and Tomioka had grown closer as well, Sanemi finally seeing the warm side of the man. 

He felt odd about the man. Something in his chest warmed when he was around. He had seen the loving side of the man and it reminded him of a much younger Genya and his mother before she had turned. He wanted something like that.

He wanted a bond like that.