chapter seven.

the body

10th november 1983

10th november 1983.

As his doorbell rings for the fourth time in the space of a few minutes Steve Harrington groans, he's drying his hands with a tea towel, the sleeves of his grey polo rolled up to his forearms, "Coming!"

It rings again, then again as he walks through the kitchen and into the hallway, tossing the tea towel behind him onto the table as he places his hands on his hips, "For the love of God wh-"

He cuts himself off, standing a little straighter, quickly taking his hand from his hip to brush it through his hair, "Hopper?"

"Sorry I'm late, your place is really hard to find."

He steps aside, his hand guiding her in, he pushes the door closed behind them as she toes off her shoes at the front door, he raises a brow at the fact she isn't wearing socks, and the fact her clothes are ruffled, as if she'd thrown them on at the last minute.

"I thought you weren't coming."

"Honestly, me too."

"Uh, here," He shakes his head, clearing his throat a little too loudly as it startles her from looking into the kitchen, by the looks of it he was washing the dishes, which surprises her a lot more than it should, "Through here. You hungry, or thirsty?"

"No, no, I'm fine," She nods following him through his large house, "Thanks."

"You sure?" He questions further, offering to take her bag, but she steps away from his hand, her own gripping the bag strap a little tighter, he pretends not to notice, but he does, "I was gonna order something anyway, you like Chinese food? Thai?"

"Chinese sounds good."

"Or, Italian, there's this place down the road, amazing garlic bread."

She nods at him, "Yeah-Yeah, I love Italian food."

"Here, we can set up in here, that okay?"

She nods, "That's fine."

He nods before disappearing out of the room leaving her to look around, she drops her bag to the floor beside the sofa and walks up to the fireplace taking in all the photos there.

She wraps her arms around herself, hissing when she touches an aching spot on her side, she shifts readjusting her arms to rest higher on her chest.

"You sure you don't want a drink?" Steve yells from the kitchen.

"Uh, sure. Please."

"I have coke, lemonade, we can break into my dad's liquor cabinet if you want."

She shakes her head, knowing he can't see it from where he is across the hallway in the kitchen, on the phone to the Italian place.

"Water is fine, thank you."

She looks at a photo of young Steve with his parents, his mother's arms are around him as she presses her cheek to his both having huge smiles, his father stands behind them, arms around each of them as he rests his chin on his wife's head.

Her eyes flicker to the side as she notices Steve's reflection walk up beside her, "Your mom is pretty."

He smiles watching her turn to face him, "Guess you didn't take after her, huh?"

She walks past him to grab her by taking out her stuff, he's set his stuff down on the coffee table so she takes the small armchair beside the sofa.

Steve gives off a sarcastic laugh as he follows her, settling on the edge of the sofa closest to her, "You're funny, Mrs Wilson said you had a sense of humour, but I didn't believe her."

He reaches over handing her the glass, his brows furrow when he sees the redness, he catches her hand turning it over to see her palm.

She snatches it away quickly when his thumb brushes one of the small cuts, "Woah, what happened?"

"Nothing-"

"Don't lie, Hopper, what is that?"

"I fell off my bike on the way here, it's fine."

"It's not-its not fine."

He stands and pulls her with him, ignoring her behind him as she tells him she's okay.

He leads her over to the kitchen sink, running the water and grabbing a tea towel as he runs her hands under the water.

It stings a little at first and he can tell, she gives it away. Her lips curled down for a few seconds.

She has a tell, he's noticed. The corners of her eyes crinkle when she's uncomfortable, when she's trying to hide it, if she's anxious her nose crinkles a little too. And if he looks hard enough he can see the creases left behind from doing it so often.

"It's fine, Harrington, just a graze."

"How'd you even do that?"

He pulls her hand closer and then grabs her other one to check, the other one doesn't have a scratch on it, it's just a little dirty.

She shrugs a little as he presses the tea towel to it, she pulls her hand away looking up at him, he stops the way she looks up at him makes him think for a second this isn't Dallas Hopper in his kitchen.

It's a soft look, her green eyes peering up at him through her lashes, lips slightly parted. Her gaze isn;t hard, or angry, filled with rage like it usually is.

"I'm getting blood on it." Her voice isn't as hoarse as it usually is, the little whisper is raspy, much raspier than her usual voice.

"It's fine, I have another one." He shrugs, bringing her hand back to him, "Does it hurt?"

"No."

"You don't have to lie to me, you know, I'm not going to make fun of you."

"I'm not," He raises a brow, a little smug smirk tugging at his lip, she wants to punch it off his stupid pretty face as she stands a little tenser, taking her hand and the tea towel away from him, "I'm not."

She says it a little firmer and his smirk widens as he holds his hands up in defence, "Okay," He says quietly, taking the tea towel and tossing it into the bin as he walks out, "Okay."

He looks around, thinking of something to change the subject to, his eyes catch the phone and he points towards it, "Food?"

"Sure. I'll uh, have to pay you back in school tomorrow, I don't have any money on me right now."

"It's on me." He says with a little nod, flashing her a smile.

"Harrin-"

"Actually, it's on my parents."

He raises his brows, "Pizza?"

She sighs and gives a nod, "Uh sure."

"And that garlic bread?"

"Okay."

He nods again as he dials the number, reading it from the pamphlet on the counter top as she stands there awkwardly, picking at the broken skin on her palm.

He holds the phone to his shoulder as it rings, "You can wait in the living room if you want."

"Thanks."

He stops her before she leaves, "Promise I won't order any meat or anything."

She nods and it is until she sits down does she realise it.

She never told him she was a vegetarian.