chapter eighteen.

battle of starcourt

july 4th 1985.

She waits for everyone else outside, sitting on the curb and looking up at the sky. It takes about ten minutes for them to finally come outside, Nancy and Jonathan leading the group.

"Dallas, let's go."

She looks up when Max calls her and follows them to Nancy's car, she climbs into the back with Mike and El as Lucas, Will and Max get in the middle and Nancy and Jonathan up front.

Nancy tries to turn the keys again, the car sputtering but not turning on, "What's wrong?"

"I don't know." She tries again.

Dallas leans over between Max and Will to get a better look upfront, "You can't be serious come on!"

"Didn't your mom just buy this car?"

"Yes, I'm sure it's fine."

"Did you leave the lights on?" Will asks.

"No."

"Do we have gas?"

"Yes!"

She grunts as she tries again and Jonathan reaches over as Lucas and Dallas share a sidelong glance when she turns to him sharply, "Whoah, whoah, whoa, just stop, stop."

"Pop the hood." He demands as he gets out, she does as he asks with a sigh.

"You know, I can hotwire a car, done it before, not that I can drive, so you'd have to drive."

"It's fine, you're not hot wiring my mom's car." Nancy mumbles.

Dallas holds her hands up in surrender leaning back to sit down once more as Nancy gets out slamming the door behind herself.

Lights flicker on making the ones in the car turn to look into the distance, "Is that-?"

"Back into the mall!"

Nancy rips the door open and then they run around to get the back door open, "Back in the mall, go, go!"

They all run back inside, Mike going onto the radio trying to get into contact with the others.

"What are we going to do?"

"Hey guys?"

They all look over to Dallas as she stares down at two Russian soldiers, "You know how to shoot right, Wheeler?"

"Yeah."

Dallas nods and pulls the two guns from their dead bodies, handing one over to the eldest Wheeler sibling, "You know how to use that thing?"

Dallas shrugs, lifting it up and pointing it into the distance, "Just point and pull the trigger right?"

"Good enough." Nancy shrugs.