chapter one.

madmax

october 29th 1984

october 29th 1984.

Dallas looks up as the four kids run into the store, she sighs, raising a brow at them, "What now?"

"How many quarters can we get?"

"For free?"

They all nod enthusiastically as they stare up at her with those puppy dog eyes, she tries to resist, turning away but they corner her and she groans.

Lucas goes on his tiptoes, hands on the desk as he pouts his bottom lip and gives her puppy eyes, "No."

"Please."

"Get off my desk, Sinclair."

Dustin joins, then Mike and she turns away as they flutter their lashes, "Please." When Will joins in she groans in defeat and shakes her head.

"This is the last time," She lifts a hand, pointing a ringed finger at each of them, "I haven't had a full pay in three months."

"This is why you're our favourite sister."

She mumbles under her breath as she takes a handful and passes them out between them, "Share them equally!" She yells after them.

"Uh, Dallas? Where does this go?" She sighs looking at the new employee, since Stacey graduated and moved on to college out of state this year Dallas has been stuck-forced by Ray- to train new employees and socialise.

Honestly, she doesn't mind the training, it's the socialising she doesn't really enjoy.

As she walks over to him, listening to the bell go behind them as she slowly explains -for the sixth time that day- how the system for CD's work.

However, she sneaks a glance to the counter as she hears the two voices talking with Ray, "Just that?"

"Yeah."

"Thanks."

She looks up watching as Steve wraps his arm around Nancy, the pair of them smiling at each other, paying no attention at all to what the new guy, Jackson? Jason, something like that, is saying to her.

He snaps his fingers in front of her face and she turns back to him, Jake- according to his name tag- she nods, raising her brows to act like she's been listening, "I asked what number is letter G?"

"What number?" She repeats slowly, "What you just said makes no sense at all."

When Steve hears the voice he hasn't heard in so long he allows his eyes to drift over to her as Nancy hands the money to Ray, he watches her walk away from the new guy shaking her head, gripping the cart and pushing it towards the back.

"Right, Steve?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, yeah, the party, right... yeah."

The pair leave, bell above the door chiming as they go and Dallas sighs as she retakes the front desk, leaning her chin on her palm.