chapter two.

Suzie, do you copy?

june 29th 1985.

"Hello?"

"Where are you? You were supposed to be here thirty minutes ago."

"Ah, shit, sorry, kid, El is meeting-"

"Look, I'm going to be late. Can you take me or not?"

"Dallas, I'm sorry-"

She huffs slamming the phone down and shakes her head, she taps her foot against the floor, she let Max borrow her bike for the day to go out with Dustin and the others, the girl didn't want to have to ride her skateboard, she taps her fingers against the wall as she thinks and then she grabs the phone dialling a number.

"Harringtons."

"Hi, Mr Harrington, is Steve there? It's Dallas, Dallas Hopper, we work together I just needed to ask him something, that's all."

"One moment," She hears the phone being pressed into his shirt as he calls through the house, "Steve, there's a Hopper on the phone for you!"

"Hopper? Dallas or Jim?"

"The first one, she said she needs to ask you something!"

Dallas purses her lips before sighing and shaking her head, "You know what, tell him it's nothing, sorry for wasting your time, Mr Harrington."

"Mr Harrington? I like the sound of that."

She smiles a little at the voice, twirling the cord around her finger so tight it cuts off the blood before letting it unravel and doing it again, "Sorry for bothering you, Harrington, don't worry about it."

"No, it's okay, it's my day off, not doing anything anyway, what's wrong?"

"It's stupid, like I said, don't worry-"

Steve crosses his arms leaning back against the wall with the phone pressed between his shoulder and ear, "Hopper it's fine, I'm not busy or anything."

His mother raises a brow at him as she looks up at him from across the kitchen island where she's placing cookies on a plate one by one, they're leaving again tomorrow and his mother- the more human of his parents- felt bad for leaving again, she decided to make him some of his favourite childhood snacks.

"Its- Jim bailed on me, he was supposed to take me to the hospital, and-"

"Hospital?" He stands quickly making his mother's brow arch even higher, she pauses, a cookie in each hand hovering over the plate, "Is everything okay?" Steve asks slowly, turning his back on his mother and her curious look.

"Yes! Yes, everything is fine, promise, it's just a checkup."

"I'll take you, I'll be there in ten minutes."