chapter five.

the case of the missing life guard

july 1st 1985.

Hopper groans as he walks through the mall towards Ray's, when he walks in and rings the bell a few more times than necessary Ray looks over from helping a customer, "She's on break, probably over at Schoops."

The chief waves him off as he grumbles and shakes his head, forcing apart the crowd so he can get there, he leans against the counter and he looks down at the group of girls waiting to get served with a raised brow.

"Can I helpy uo?"

"Where's Dallas?"

"Oh, you're the uncle."

"Yes, where is she?"

Robin shrugs, "Haven't seen her."

He sighs rubbing a hand across her face, "I was told she was here."

Across the mall Dallas raises a brow as she crosses her arms standing behind Steve and Dustin, "Anna Jacobi's talking to that meathead Mark Lewinsky."

"If you're not going to focus, give me the binoculars."

"Oh Jesus Christ, whatever happened to standards? I mean, Lewinsky never even came off the bench."

"What are you doing?"

They both jump, turning around to look at Dallas who stands above them, hands on her hips, thumbs looped through the belt loops of her jeans, "Jesus, Dallas, we're going to have to put a bell on you." She kicks her brother's foot as she raises a brow at him waiting for one of them to reply to her question, "We're spying."

"On Harrington's failed dates?"

"Dude, you are the worst spy in history, you know that?" Dustin grabs the binoculars pulling them off him, "Give me those."

"Stop, hey." Steve struggles to pull the cord over his neck as he falls to the side, "Stop."

"Who are we spying on?"

She crouches between them following her brother's gaze around the place, "Russians."

"Anyway, dude, I don't know why you're looking at girls when you have the perfect one right in front of you."

"I swear, if you say Robin again-"

"Robin."

"Stop."

Dallas rolls her eyes as she takes the binoculars from him as he begins to repeat the girl's name over and over.

"No, stop. No, man, she's not my type."

"Shit."

Dallas drops the binoculars as she spots her uncle riding up on the escalator as she looks around, she passes them back to her brother using Steve's head to stand, ignoring his mutters as she gets up. "I've got to go."