chapter one.

Suzie, do you copy?

june 28th 1985.

Dallas watches as the four kids walk into the store, and she sighs, "Still not home."

Mike groans, dropping his head back as she leans on her hand against the counter, "When is he back?"

"Again, Wheeler, I don't know, he was supposed to be back three days ago, keeps cancelling so he can stay a little longer."

"Can we-"

"No."

"You don't even know what I was going to ask." Lucas says as he leans against the counter on the opposite side to her, she barely glances up from where she was picking at the skin around her nails.

"Can we go in through the back, no. Ask again and I'll kill you, every goddamn day." She huffs, shaking her head.

"We don't ask on Tuesdays."

"Because I don't work here on Tuesdays."

She shoos them out of the music store and watches them walk across the hall towards Schoops Ahoy directly opposite, when she catches sight of Steve, ripping open the back window she shakes her head and walks back inside.

Ray comes in through the door shaking his head as he mutters under his breath, "What's wrong?"

"This damn mall, why'd they make us relocate? There are too many people around."

"At least we're earning more." She shrugs as she sits on the counter.

He sighs, "I suppose so."

"You put those posters up like I asked?"

"Yes?"

He looks up at her when he finds the stack of posters under the counter and hands them to her, "Just a few, give one to the Harrington kid that used to come in the store back when we were in town."

"He works at the ice cream place."

"Well maybe when he sees you he'll want to work here instead."

She raises a brow at her boss who shrugs, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"That kid never came into my store until he knew you worked there, then he became my top buyer."

She looks away, willing the warmth she feels travelling up her neck to go away. She clears her throat as she jumps down from the counter and walks around it, moving backwards to still speak to him, "I'll stick a few up."

"One in every store, except old man Johnson's place, the guy he hates me, the rest tolerate me, and only on the downstairs floor, everyone upstairs hates me too."

She gives a thumbs up as she goes around store by store asking the managers to pin up posters, they're hesitant at first but when she utters her bosses name they're gladly taking them from her, some sticking them on the notice board, others in the window.