chapter eight.

the spy

november 3rd 1984

november 3rd 1984.

Dallas grimaces as she looks down at all the meat Steve is lifting from his trunk, she crosses her arms, leaning against the car watching, "Well, well, well, look who it is."

She watches her brother turn away and smirk as he talks to his friends over his headset, "You know, I could use a little help." Steve grunts, lifting the next bucket out.

She shrugs, tilting her head, "You seem to be doing fine."

Steve sighs, slamming the trunk down, "Alright, let's go."

He passes his bag off to Dallas as they walk forward, "Careful with that." He nods to the bat full of nails and she rolls her eyes.

"What do you think I'm going to do, Harrington, smash up your car?"

She swings it over one shoulder, walking ahead with Mac at her feet as she lifts her headphones up over her head, Steve sighs as they get to the train track, starting to throw some meat down, "Okay, so let me get this straight," He shakes his head at Dustin, "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous, in a house with your sister, in order to impress a girl you, just met?"

"Alright, that's grossly oversimplifying things," Dustin turns a little to look at him as he stops, "Why do you care if my sister's there?"

"What?"

"What difference does it make?"

"No difference, but if I remember correctly, Nancy, Jonathan and I were never to utter a word of last year's events to her."

Dustin sighs as they start walking again, both watching as Dallas throws a stick for Mac, who runs ahead to get it and then runs back, Steve moves back to his first topic, "Why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?"

"An interdimensional slug? Because it's awesome."

"Well even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I just- I just- I don't know I feel like you're trying way too hard."

"Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, alright?"

"It's not about the hair, man."

"The key to girls is just... acting like you don't care." Steve shrugs as he walks up beside him, not taking his eyes from Dallas up ahead to make sure this 'intergalactic slug' doesn't appear through the trees.

Dustin turns to look at him, "Even if you do?"

"Yeah," He nods, turning his attention from one sibling to the other, "Exactly. It drives them nuts."

"Then what?"

"You just wait until uh..." He turns to toss some meat behind them as they walk, "Until you feel it."