chapter eleven.

e pluribus unum

july 4th 1985.

The guard punches Steve again and he grunts, "That one stung!"

"Who do you work for?"

"For the millionth time I work at Scoops Ahoy!"

The guard smiles, raising his chin and the other punches him again making him go and double over, "What the hell? Look at my outfit! Look at my outfit."

Dallas tries once more to get out of the chair, ignoring Robin's mumbled protests behind her.

"Dallas, you're gonna get yourself hurt."

"I'm not sitting here listening to them beat the sht out of Harrington when I can do something."

She grins, feeling the cuffs loosen as she finally kicks the lock with the makeshift pin she'd taken from unwinding her small little wire ring that was wrapped around her pinky finger.

She stands up slowly, creeping up to the guard standing watch, she taps his shoulder and he turns only to be met with her fist, what she didn't expect was the three other guards hearing, all of them rounding the corner with their guns raised.

"Sorry?"

The one in the middle uses his gun to hit her across the face, she yells as she feels her nose crack, blood falling down her face.

The Russian grips her by the hair and she tries to protest kicking and punching him as he drags her towards the room she can hear Steve's yells coming from.

When the door bursts open Steve doesn't bother dragging his eyes up to look, "The girl tried to get free."

"Escape?"

"No, to get to him."

Steve looks up watching as the guard grips her hair and pulls her head up to face who seems to be the boss, he walks closer tilting his head as his index and thumb grab ahold of her chin, angling her face in different directions to take her in.

"Hmm, shame she was not prettier."

"Don't touch her, assholes."

Dallas tries not to let the whimper out, her lip quivering, nose scrunching as the guard pulls her hair even tighter, her hand lifts to his wrist behind her head, gripping it tightly to try and ease the pressure.

"Look, I swear to God, nobody knows about us, nobody saw us. You can just let us go alright? And I'm not gonna tell anybody about this, okay? Shit happens, life goes on. And uh... ice- ice cream. Ice cream, okay? You guys know what ice cream is. Everybody loves ice cream. I don't know if you have Russian ice cream, or if that's considered gelato. I don't know what's what but whatever you guys want, seriously. USS Butterscotch, I mean, you gotta try it. It is out of this world I'm telling ya!"