One

My heart pounded loudly in my chest as I realized that the moment I had always longed for had finally come. I spent almost ten years training for that day, going through unbearable challenges that almost tore me into pieces just so I would prove to the man who brought me up as if I were his own child that I was worthy of the mission he had been preparing me for. Nobody else was worthy of this mission but me. This vengeance was mine.

I was only eight years old when it all happened. Just a child snatched away from her kingdom in the middle of the night. I didn't even have time to say goodbye to my parents who were already dead by the time my uncle had reached my room. The only thing I managed to take with me was my blue stuffed elephant.

"We leave in two days, Nuriya," my uncle spoke as he stood before me, using the name he had been calling me with for the past years; a reminder of the role I was supposed to play. "You're ready for this. you can do anything you want. You're a strong woman driven by determination and a desire to avenge your kingdom. Always remember that."

Slowly, I stood up, clenching the invitation in my hand. It was time for vengeance, to satisfy the desire that had been welling inside of me for so long. I wanted nothing in my life but to take back my Kingdom from the Carbilian Royal bloodline. For the sake of my conquered Kingdom, I was ready to go above and beyond. I wasn't going to spare the blood of the Carbilian Royals when they slaughtered my parents with a heart of ice as if they were nothing, unworthy of being alive.

I was aware of what I had to do. Make the new King of Carbilia fall for me, marry him, kill him and restore the Vinadrian throne once more. I was going to sit on that throne as a queen no matter what.

When I was a little girl, I had always told my parents that I wanted to rule the kingdom with love and fairness. I wanted to eradicate all evil acts and grant my loyal subjects a happy and peaceful life. Just a child with foolish dreams. I didn't understand at that time the actual meaning of cruelty. I didn't understand how some rulers wrote their history with their enemies' blood.

Only when I was awoken in the middle of the night by my uncle as he pulled me away from the warmth of my bed with his hand on my mouth did I understand the true meaning of fear.

I loved my uncle as a child, he was always nice to me and made an effort to make me happy, but I wanted my parents to comfort me. However, that became a luxury, because minutes before I was awoken, they had already been killed and my uncle wanted to save me from the same fate my parents met.

Through the secret passage no one knew about but the royal members of the palace, we escaped with three members of the royal court. Days and nights were spent on the road as we stayed hidden, doing our best to disguise ourselves until we reached Elendra, the friendly kingdom, where we sought refuge. The Eledrian king was merciful.

The shock and fright I lived in for seven days as an eight-year-old were carved in my memory and nothing could remove them. The trauma that haunted me for years was never forgotten— traces of it still marred me. The Elendrian King gave us more than what we had asked for, saying that it was a debt he owed to my parents for a favour they had done for him years ago. He granted us new identities, allowing us to have a fresh start as a noble family that had finally returned after years of being away.

On that day, Princess Sedra Orman of Vinadra was sent into a deep coma and Lady Nuriya Al-Jazi was born. In front of everyone, my uncle was actually my father. No one knew about our true identities but the King of Elendra.

For years, I had been training to restore Sedra's rights and it was time for the two women to work together.

"I've never been more ready, father." The smirk on my lips spoke enough of my intentions.  

________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think about the first chapter!? 

Your opinion matters ^_^

Published on July 3rd, 2022

Sara