Fifty-three

"No, don't," I whimpered. Somebody was holding me, preventing me from reaching Zain as Hood stood behind him with a sharp knife in his hand. The man I loved with everything in me was beaten up. His hands were tied behind him and he was on his knees.

"Don't kill him. I beg you. I'll do anything you want," I pleaded with him.

"Too late," Hood smirked and sliced Zain's throat with the knife he was holding.

I screamed out as blood oozed from his neck.

"Wake up! Wake up!" I felt somebody shake my body. When I opened my eyes and saw him in front of me, I latched my arms around his neck, not caring that he hated my guts. I just needed to make sure that he was there.

"It's okay. You're okay," he murmured, gently squeezing my body. He was there. He was right there, holding me, rubbing my back to calm me down.

"A-Are you hurt?" I whispered, looking at his face. Apart from the fading bruises and the small scratches, he seemed fine.

"Apart from the wound on my thigh, I'm fine," he assured me as he tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "You scared the hell out of me," he said and I looked down, not knowing what to say. "We barely understood the name of the poison. Your tongue was heavy and your voice was so low."

"Sorry," I mumbled, not looking at him as I pushed myself away from him. This was dangerous. The hope in me was incredibly dangerous. It was worse than any poison in the entire world. "I think... we're even."

"What do you mean?" When I looked at his face, there was a crease between his eyebrows.

"I saved you twice, and so did you. You owe me nothing anymore. You don't have to feel like you're indebted to me," I explained, getting out of bed.

"You saved me three times," he said, standing up too. "Once in Carbilia, once after I proposed and once when you decided to go against Hood after he kidnapped us."

"The last one doesn't count. Not when I'm the one who got you in danger," I said, walking towards him. I looked down at my hand and sighed. This was so hard, but the ring didn't belong to me. It wasn't mine anymore. "This is yours." I took off the ring and gave it to him.

"I think we need to talk first," he said, refusing to take the ring.

"Listen, I know that things are getting more complicated. I know how hard everything is. I know I hurt you and you'll never forgive me, but please don't add more salt to my cuts. You're the first man I've ever loved and... I don't think I will love anybody else as much as I loved you, so I don't... I don't think I'd be able to handle you playing with my feelings," I begged him. My eyes were already burning with tears.

"Loved?" He rose his eyebrows.

"What?" What's wrong?

"You said loved, not love. You don't love me anymore?"

I was about to speak, but loud horns erupted through the palace. What was happening?

"I have to go! Stay here and don't even thing about getting out. Do you get it?" Zain said, looking at me.

"What's going on?" I asked him, holding onto his hand before he turned to leave.

"The palace is under attack. Don't you ever leave your chambers. Lock the doors and stay with Mayan. Don't leave your chambers no matter what. You've just got your health back . You're not strong enough to face anyone. Do you hear me?" His eyes were fixated on mine.

"This is not the time to be stubborn. Do you hear me?" he repeated his question.

"Yes," I replied, giving him the answer he wanted.