Twenty-seven

"I never knew shopping could be this fun!" I exclaimed as the shop assistant handed me the paper bag.

"I am starting to think you're an impulsive buyer," Mayan laughed at me as she eyed the three huge shopping bags in my arms.

"Maybe I am just excited because this is my first time," I shrugged as the two of us headed out of the shop. I bought a beautiful green dress from a luxurious boutique, three headpieces, a new lace umbrella, and a pocket watch for Zain.

"Maybe, but I think this is enough for one day," she told me and I nodded, agreeing with her.

As we were walking, I caught a glimpse of Laith's face. What was he doing in the market? I didn't want him to notice me and I didn't want Mayan to notice him.

"Mayan, stay here, please. I will be right back!" Not giving her the chance to reply, I started to follow him.

The way he kept turning right and left sparked my curiosity. Why was he doing that? It was like he didn't want to get caught. What business did he have in Vinadra. His movements were swift and calculated. At one moment, I felt that he was going to catch me, so I had to hide behind a wall. Something was going on and my suspicions were all over the place.

Getting out of my hiding spot, I followed him, but he was much further. It was starting to be hard to keep up with him, especially since we were now in a much more crowded area than the one I caught him in. It was relatively poor too. What was he doing in such a place?

Eventually, I lost him in the crowd, but I made sure to memorize where I was and my surroundings. I had to keep my eye on his from now on. Laith was not to be trusted.

I quickly made my way back to Mayan who was still waiting for me where I left her.

"Where did you go?" She frowned once she saw me. "You look flushed. Have you been running?"

"I..." I placed my hand over my chest, "I was running, so I wouldn't keep you waiting. I thought I saw someone I knew," I half-lied. I wasn't going to tell her that I was running after my father who was actually my uncle whose real name was not Laith.

"I think you need some refreshments," she told me, looking around. "Here! We can have something to drink in this café," she said and I nodded.

I definitely needed something to drink.

***

Once we got back to the palace, I found Laith there. He was sitting in the living room of our chambers. Surprise took over his face when he saw the shopping bags in my hands.

"Where were you? I thought you were spending time with Zain," he said. And I thought you weren't keeping any secrets from me, I thought.

"I was with Mayan at the market. We went shopping," I replied, setting my bags aside. "Where were you? I searched for you before I went out to tell you I was going out, but you were nowhere to be found," I pointed out. I was certain by now that he was not going to tell me about his whereabouts.

"I was roaming the palace. I was checking if the entrances of the tunnels were still accessible," he lied. He was hiding something. I analyzed his words in my head and I tried not to appear phased. Zain knew about the tunnels. I was not sure if he knew that there were numerous ones.

"Are they accessible?" I wondered.

"I checked three of the ones I was already familiar with." I knew he was lying, but I was still worried. I was incredibly worried. I feared for Zain's safety. It was crystal clear that he was already in danger as long as Laith and I were here, but I liked to think that I was not a danger anymore. If anything, I was ready to be his protector.

"How many entrances are you familiar with?" I wondered, taking a seat beside him. I was hoping that I was being as causal as possible.

"Three on this floor, one in your old chambers and another in your parents' chambers," he answered. He said nothing about the one in Zain's chambers, but maybe he was keeping things from me. I could no longer trust him.

My only hope was that Laith did not know anything about the entrance in Zain's chambers. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

I think I might post another chapter tomorrow 😃😃

Published on August 14th, 2022

Sara