Two

"Welcome to the Grand Palace, Lady Nuriya," a man welcomed me once I got out of the carriage. It was a long ride; seven hours to be exact, preceded by two days on a ship. Despite the road, I still managed to look good, causing every man to glue his eyes on my features that the people at Elendra called impeccable. I had always been aware of my beauty, but it was nothing but a mere weapon; I was certain that I was going to put it to use to get what I wanted. My honey-brown hair was pulled back, showing the sharpness of my jawline.

"I'm Counsellor Gerald and it's an honour to have you here as our guest."

But I knew that I was no guest. I was the rightful owner of that palace and I was going to reclaim it soon.

"The honour is all mine, Counsellor." I offered him one of my practised dazzling smiles as he inclined his head in respect for the lady before him. Adjusting the sky-blue skirts of my dress with one hand while holding my lace-decorated umbrella with the other, I looked around me in awe. That was my home, where I was supposed to be.

"Lord Laith, it's a pleasure to have you," the Counsellor welcomed the man that everybody thought was my father. The game was about to start, and I had to erase from my mind that the man who stood behind me was my uncle. I had no uncles.

The whole family died of plague years ago, making their properties go to the King of Elendra, but when a distant relative arrived after years of living abroad, the King passed the property to him. That was how our new identities were formed. Nuriya Al-Jazi was the one I had to be before the conquering members of the palace, but only when I was on my own could I be Sedra Orman, the rightful Queen of the Vinadrian throne.

I was escorted, along with my maid and my uncle, to the suite where I'd be staying. Blurry images of a younger version of me running through the wide hallways of the palace appeared before my eyes, but I had to shake away the memory. This wasn't the best time for reminiscing what I once used to have. There was no time for emotions.

"Thank you." I smiled at the butler and walked inside the suite. Indeed, it was huge. The space between the floor and the ceiling was long enough to leave a vast space on the creamy walls to be decorated with traditional Vinadrian patterns, but the pictures hung on the walls didn't belong to the culture running through my veins.

There was a medium-sized oval dining table placed on the far right side of the room; it was too big for just me and my uncle. On the left, there was a fireplace, and a huge couch was placed before it along with a coffee table. On the left side of the door, there was a set of living room furniture consisting of four chairs and a couch.

The entrance of the terrace was between the couch and the dining table. I was eager to explore the place, but I had to appear contained in front of the staff of the palace. I was a noble lady in their eyes accustomed to being surrounded by luxury and while that was true, they didn't know the other part of me; the rightful Queen who finally stepped a foot in her home after almost ten years.

"There are two chambers here." The butler pointed to the room on the left, then the one on the right.

"Which one would you like to take, daughter?" Laith asked me.

"We can decide later," I replied, plastering a smile on my lips.

"Dinner is in four hours from now, you can rest for the time being and somebody will be sent to escort you to the dining room." Laith thanked the butler who shortly left after making sure that we didn't need anything.

I walked around the suite, making my way to the left chamber. Turning the golden doorknob, I entered the huge chamber. There was a wooden king-sized bed with four poles placed against the wall beside the door. A huge wardrobe rested against the wall opposite the bed and beside it, there was a desk and a chair. Going deeper into the room, I took in the details of the furniture, the matching colours and how everything seemed Vinadrian more than Carbilian.

Upon noticing the balcony, I immediately marched towards it, opening the white shutters. Fresh air hit my lungs as I stepped inside the balcony and I loved how there was a small table and two chairs placed inside. I leaned against the thick railing as I studied the garden beneath me.

I saw a young version of myself in the garden, taking a walk with my mother, hiding behind the huge trees and laughing as I got chased by my nanny, but I closed my eyes, attempting to conceal the wave of grief that decided to hit me. I noticed the guards here and there in the garden, looking alert and ensuring the safety of the palace and its residents. I was about to walk inside until my eyes caught a man walking with another one. Their clothes spoke of their high status. My eyes stayed glued to them for a few moments before I caught the attention of one of them. I couldn't make out his facial expressions because of the distance, but I noticed how he bowed a little in respect to greet me. Not knowing his status, I ended up nodding my head as I did a little curtsey before walking inside.

"I will be taking this room," I announced, feeling that there was no need to check the other one.

"I think it's the best for you," Laith agreed. "Have a rest. We've got a long journey to take," he said before closing the door of my bedroom behind him. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Published on July 3rd, 2022

Sara