Twenty: Zain

I wanted to know her on a higher level. I wanted to know how she would consider matters of ruling a Kingdom. If she was going to be my wife, I wanted her to rule by my side, so knowing how she would deal with the Kingdom's issues was important.

"So we have a tight budget for the time being because a lot of money has been put in importing new seeds, building new factories, strengthening the army, and more. Now there are a lot of complaints because of the distance people have to cover daily to get to their jobs and schools from this area to the other part of the city. I don't know how to make things easier for them," I explained the issues to her.

"What are the solutions you have in mind so far?" she wondered, looking at the map before us.

"Adding more boats and ferries, but this will cause pollution to the water, which is another issue I need to work on," I told her. She stayed silent for a bit, studying the maps and the allocated budget for that problem.

I kept my eyes on her, liking the look on her face. My eyes then darted to Feras who was also watching her. We were both determined to know how this girl thought.

"What I have in mind may need you to reformulate your whole budget, but I promise you, it's worth it," she started speaking.

"I'm listening." I gave her my whole attention.

"Okay, so why don't you build a bridge over the Grand River that would connect these two parts of the town? That way, you would start lessening water pollution caused by boats and ferries. Also, you can have carts and carriages parked by the bridge that would take people from this end to that end," she explained her plan, and honestly, I was fond of it.

"Keeping going," Feras told her. I could tell that he was rather impressed.

"Now, I know that having a strong army is quite important, so let's just keep its budget aside, but I want to discuss the budget you allocated for the factories," she said, looking at me.

"What about it?" I frowned.

"I understand that industry is important for the economy, but so are your people. Human resources are a great weapon and if you don't use it well, you might not be ready for their wrath," she told me.

"And how do you think I can employ this great weapon?" I asked her.

"First of all, build schools in their neighbourhoods. Why do they need to travel for miles and miles just to learn? That's so unfair. Also, why don't you integrate new schools into your system? Vocational schools can help a lot."

I was falling for this girl. I wanted to marry her. She was so smart and so confident. I needed somebody like her in my life. She was the perfect one for me.

"What's the benefit of vocational schools?" Feras asked her.

"They will serve the factories in the long run. Reading and writing are quite important, but not everybody needs normal schools. Some know that they want to be carpenters, blacksmiths, electricians, or plumbers from a very young age, so why don't we make it easier for them and teach them the skills they want by professionals? They can even have paid internships at the factories during Summer," she reasoned.

I stayed silent, admiring how her mind works. She was a masterpiece. She had beauty and brains. She was everything I could ever wish for and I was certain that if I did not make her mine, I was going to regret it.

"Are my ideas that bad? They aren't applicable, are they?" she mumbled with a frown on her gorgeous face as she suddenly seemed self-conscious.

"They aren't bad at all," I told her. "I'm just thinking how I am supposed to listen to my economic advisers now when you make their ideas seem terrible and useless."

The smile that appeared on her face was worth a million gold coins. Did she doubt her talents for one moment?

"Really?" Her hazel eyes were full of joy, adding more to her beauty.

"Yes, I'm actually impressed and I'm convinced with everything you said. I will discuss them with the council in three days," I told her.

"Well, if you're truly convinced with my ideas, I believe you can now take a break. You seem pretty exhausted and if you keep working like that, you're going to pass out." I loved her concern. I was very tired and I did need a break.

"I really need to sleep. You're right." I nodded, standing up, ready to leave my office.

"Had I known how smart you are, I would have asked for your help a while ago," Feras told her, making her blush as she thanked him. I didn't like how he made her blush. Nobody was allowed to make her blush but me.

"I'm always happy to help," she politely replied.

"Well, as a thank you, I would like to take you out tonight for dinner. Is that okay with you?" I asked her.

"I would love to," she beamed. "You better get some sleep then if you want us to go out," she told me. "I will head to my chambers to see what I should wear."

"Let me walk you to your chambers," I offered, but she shook her head.

"My chambers are a bit far from here and I believe your chambers aren't far from here. I think I memorized my way around. Go rest," she said.

"Are you sure?" I didn't mind walking her.

"Yes, have a good nap," she told me before walking away. I didn't like how her chambers were far from mine. Perhaps I could transfer her to closer ones. 

"So... when is the wedding? I'm certain you won't let her slip off your fingers." I totally forgot that Feras had been standing behind me.

________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think about the chapter?

Don't forget to vote and comment!!

Published on July 31st, 2022

Sara