Forty-two

My head was throbbing. Everything hurt so badly and my shoulder was on fire. I was hit with an arrow as I defended Zain. Did I make it? Did I die? I opened my eyes and looked around me. That didn't seem like a place I would be at if I died.

I looked to my right and saw Mayan. She fell asleep while sitting on a chair.

"M-Mayan," my voice was hoarse. The moment I spoke, she jolted from her sleep. "W-water, please." I managed to say.

"God! You're awake!" she exclaimed as she poured water in a glass cup. She helped me sit up and placed the tip of the cup on my lips. "Are you okay? Do you need anything? I need to fetch his Majesty. I mean Zain. He told me to call him by his name as long as no strangers are around. He is worried sick about you, but they needed him for an emergency meeting!" she was rambling and I wanted to do nothing but laugh. She was freaking out without even realizing it.

"You're such a terrible nurse," I laughed, then winced when the pain in my shoulder intensified.

"Shut up, you moron! I was so worried about you," she whispered and in seconds, tears fell down her cheeks as she wrapped her arms carefully around me. "I thought I was going to lose you," she muttered.

"I'm all right. I'm fine," I mumbled, holding onto her with my good arm.

"You've been out for two days and each night, you got feverish," she said as she wiped away her tears when we pulled apart.

"Two days?" I blurted. It surely didn't feel like that.

"Yes. I need you to wait here. I will inform the maid to get you something to eat and I will see where Zain is," she said, standing up. "Do not exhaust yourself. Do not move at all, yeah?"

"I don't think I have the energy to move, Mayan," I gave her a sheepish smile.

I survived.

I didn't think I would make it. I thought I was going to die. I looked at my right hand and saw the ring, which made me smile to myself.

I remembered how gentle Zain was when I was in the coach with him. he was careful and had me wrapped in his arms for as long as I could remember. He did his best to keep me awake and I managed to stay awake with his help for a while, but the poison was wearing me down, so I passed out.

I was scared. I was certain Hood was not going to stop. He wanted Zain dead and I was not going to let him touch him. Over my dead body.

As I waited for anybody to come inside the chamber, I felt the need to go to the bathroom, so I slowly tried to get out of bed. My body was weak. I could easily feel how I wasn't able to stand.

As I slowly started to move my feet, the room began to spin and within seconds, I was on the floor, unable to lift myself. I hated being this weak. There was no time for that. I needed to recover as soon as possible to be able to protect Zain.

"Nuriya! Hell!" I heard Zain's voice the moment he opened the door. I didn't mean to worry him like that.

"I left her for less than ten minutes, I swear!" Mayan exclaimed.

"I just needed to go to the bathroom," I muttered, still dizzy.

Carefully, Zain scooped me up in his arms and sat me on the bed.

"Mayan, may you please bring her a glass of water?" he requested and I felt him take me in his arms as he stood in front of me. I placed my head against his stomach and closed my eyes. "What are you trying to do to me, Nuriya?" he whispered, kissing my head.

"I just wanted to go to the bathroom," I murmured.

"Here, sweetheart," he said, bringing the cup to my lips. "Drink this." I slowly nodded and drank half of the glass.

"Your body needs food. I know this isn't much, but eat it until dinner arrives," Mayan told me, holding a biscuit in her hand.

"Thank you," I whispered, taking it from her.

"You scared the hell out of me," Zain said, kissing my head again.

"Sorry," I mumbled, finally looking up at him. I was so glad that I got to see his blue eyes again.

"I will leave you alone. Welcome back, Nuriya," Mayan smiled at me before leaving.

Once she left, Zain dropped to his knees before me, cupped my cheeks between his hands, and kissed me like he had been longing for that kiss for years.

"For the love of God, stop throwing yourself in front of danger for my sake. Please, I'm begging you. I can't stand watching you hurt," he begged me, still having his hands on my cheeks.

"I couldn't. I couldn't imagine seeing you hurt," I admitted, looking into his eyes. "I would never step aside and watch you get hurt if I had the chance to save you."

"Not when your life is on the line, Nuriya!" he exclaimed, letting me go.

"I care about your life just as much as you care about mine," I tried to reason with him.

"Don't you ever do that again," he pleaded, reaching for my hands.

"Do what?" I asked in a quiet voice.

"Stand in front of danger to protect me. It should never be like that, Nuriya. I'm the one who is supposed to protect you," he replied.

"Who stipulated that stupid rule?" I frowned. "The way I see it, when two people deeply care for one another, love each other, they protect each other. That time, it was my turn to protect you. Nobody knows in which way you might protect me later."

"You don't know how painful it was to see how that poison was taking you away from me. I thought I would never get to hear your voice, hug you or kiss you ever again." He looked down. I could sense how guilt was weighing him down.

Gently, I gave his hands a light squeeze, causing him to look at her. "Your Majesty, I'm perfectly fine and I'm going to wear that scar on my shoulder like an honour badge. You don't get to save someone from the royal family every day, so no need to be dramatic." The way I grinned made him laugh as he took me in his embrace again.

"Let's get you to the bathroom." He helped me stand up and thankfully, I wasn't dizzy anymore. I carefully made my way to the bathroom and after finishing my business, I walked out. Dinner was already there and once Zain saw me, he pulled a chair for me and I sat down.

"Which chambers are those?" I wondered. The smell of food was amazing that it made my stomach growl.

"The queen's chambers," he replied, taking me by surprise.

"But I'm not a queen yet to be here," I told him.

"The moment I placed a ring on your finger, it became your right to stay here. This is only a matter of time anyway. You're going to be my queen soon," he said, shrugging.

"We... we won't be staying in the same chambers?" I couldn't help but ask.

"It's up to you. If you want your own chambers, you already have them. If you want us to stay together, choose the best chambers around and let's make them ours," he said. I loved how he always made sure that I had the right to choose.

"I would love if we can stay in the same chambers," I blushed as I said that.

"Then my queen gets what she desires." I believe no other person could make me smile as wide as Zain did.  

________________________________________________________________________________

More drama is on its way, I promise😉😉

Published on September 5th, 2022

Sara