Forty-one: Zain

"Fuck! Come on, Nuriya!" I gently shook her, trying to get her to wake up, but I received no response from her. "Hurry up!" I yelled at the coachman as I hugged her tighter in my arms.

Why did she have to do that? Why did she feel the need to step in front of danger to protect me? Didn't she know that it was supposed to be the other way around?

My cheek was pressed against her forehead as I held her in my embrace. She was burning.

She saved me again. For the second time. She stepped in front of danger for me. She was making me face my worst fear again, but I wasn't going to make her leave this time. I was going to stay by her side until she would heal. I was going to take care of her until she would be okay again.

Once we reached the palace, I got out of the coach with her in my arms. I could see the utter shock on the guards' faces. They tried to take her away from me, but I refused. I ran to the clinic I had in the palace and the moment I laid her down on the bed, the healer started to work on her.

I was asked to step outside and I did. I cooperated because I wanted her to be okay. I guess words did travel quickly because, within minutes, I saw Mayan practically running towards me.

"Your Majesty." She curtsied. "Is what I heard true? Is Nuriya hurt?" she sounded anxious.

"Yes, she's inside now being treated," I replied.

Was Laith right? Was I bad for his daughter? Was I nothing but a source of danger she was welcoming with open arms? I tried to shake those thoughts away and did my best to calm myself down.

Was the healer going to extract the poison out of her body? Did he have the antidote for it?

"Is Nuriya hurt?" Feras's voice interrupted my thoughts. I looked at him and nodded.

"Because of me. Again. Somebody wanted to kill me and Nuriya being Nuriya stepped in front of the arrow to protect me. She's going to be the death of me!" I hissed.

"She will be fine. You have the best healers in the Kingdom," Feras assured me, but the only thing that would assure me was seeing her safe and sound and healthy. I didn't want anything else but that. "Did they catch who did that?"

"I left the whole chase thing to them and focused on her," I replied. All I wanted was to get her to the palace.

I didn't know for how long I waited, but when the healer got out, my heart was close to jumping out of its chest out of fear. Was he bearing bad news? Was he going to tell me that I lost her forever?

"The fact that she made it was a miracle. Had it not been for the arrow the guards delivered, I wouldn't have known which antidote to give her," he told me. She made it. She was going to be okay. "She's going to be exhausted for a whole week though. She's going to be weak, feverish, and sick for a week or ten days. It depends on how her body would react."

Having her sick is better than having her on the verge of death.

"Can she be transferred to her chambers?" I asked him.

"Yes, but she shouldn't move a lot. She needs to stay in bed for at least a week," he informed me and I nodded.

I walked inside and saw her asleep on the healer's bed. Her shoulder was bandaged up. She looked a bit pale. When I approached her and placed my hand over her forehead, she was no longer as feverish as she was. I gently placed a kiss on her forehead, then scooped her up in my arms and made my way to the queen's chambers. She was my fiancée. I could move her there now. Even if she wasn't, I didn't give a shit. I needed her close to me no matter what.

I carefully put her on the bed and pulled the cover over her. She looked so vulnerable in front of me that I wanted to do nothing but take her in my arms and apologise for not being able to protect her.

"If you would like, I can stay with her in case she wakes up at any time," Lady Mayan offered.

"I don't want to cause you any trouble," I said, looking at her.

"She's my best friend. I want to take care of her," she assured me. "You look tired, your Majesty. I will stay with her while you rest."

"She's right. You look like you could use some sleep," Feras agreed with her.

"If anything happens, wake me up. My chambers are right next to hers," I told Mayan who nodded. "And no need for formalities when no strangers are around," I added. She shyly nodded.

Maybe if I slept for a little while I would be able to take care of her. 

________________________________________________________________________________

I just love how he loves her🥰🥰

Published on September 5th, 2022

Sara

The Rightful Queenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें