Forty-three

It took me nine days to fully recover. Neither Zain nor Mayan allowed me to leave my chambers. They were worried that I might fall sick. They didn't leave me alone either. Thankfully, I enjoyed their company.

I had been worried sick about Zain. I secretly asked Feras once to keep an eye on him at all times, and he assured me that he was already doing that. I didn't want anything to happen to him. I would gladly kill for this man.

"Good morning, Nuriya," Feras said as he walked inside the music chamber. I hadn't been here in so long. I missed playing the piano. "I see you're finally healthy again," he commented.

"Good morning," I smiled at him. "Yeah, it's good to be able to move without help again," I admitted.

"I need you to do me a favor," Feras spoke. He seemed a bit nervous.

"I am be happy to help if I can," I told him.

"Can you put in good words for me with Mayan? I think she is great and I'd really love to court her. If she agrees, I will immediately write a letter to her father to ask for his permission to court her and if all goes well, I will ask for her hand in marriage," Feras rambled, taking me by surprise.

He literally had his plan set.

"When did you start liking my best friend, your Grace?" I smirked, teasing him.

"It's been more than a month," he confessed, rubbing the back of his neck. "So... are you going to do it?" he was incredibly nervous.

"I'll definitely do it. You're a good man and I know you'll take care of Mayan," I smiled at him.

"Thank you! I promise you won't regret it." Relief and excitement were quite evident in his voice.

Once he left, I played for a little while on the piano before deciding to leave. My birthday was a few days away and Zain said he was going to throw me a huge ball. I didn't want a huge celebration, but I was aware that it was a necessity since Zain planned on proposing publicly.

Taking a deep breath, I decided to take a walk in the palace. I found myself making my way to my parents' chambers. I wondered how they looked now. Hood told me that Zain's father slaughtered them in their sleep and blood was everywhere. He wanted me to kill Zain the same way and that was originally my plan. Now, I was ready to dig a knife in my heart if it meant protecting him.

My heart started to beat faster once I reached their chambers. I was scared of walking inside as if I was going to find their bodies. Slowly, I reached for the doorknob and turned it down. Memories hit me once I walked inside. I remembered having my meals with my parents there, reading with my mum, and playing with my dad. A few tears fell down my cheeks as I took in a shaky breath.

I made my way towards their bed chamber and closed my eyes for a moment, trying to have control over my emotions.

The whole place looked like it hadn't been opened in ages. Dust covered everything and even the bed didn't have sheets on.

I sat on it and pictured how they had probably been sleeping peacefully before they got slaughtered. A myriad of emotions ran through me, making it hard for me to stay any longer.

I got up and quickly got out of the chambers, trying not to picture their dead bodies.

Yes, I needed to avenge them. I wanted to make whoever killed them suffer.

Zain wasn't that person though. I didn't want him to suffer. He wasn't the one at fault no matter what others tried to convince me of.

_______________________________________________________________
Would you ever forgive Nuriya if she hurt Zain in any way?
Published on September 6th, 2022
Sara