Thirty-four

Billions of thoughts ran through my head. I was at a loss and I didn't have anyone to help me out.

Things were getting so real between the two of us and I had to protect him from my uncle, whose calmness about the whole matter at first scared the hell out of me. This was not the reaction I expected from him. I thought he would wage a war against me. This meant that he had worse plans. It was me against him and I was going to do anything to protect Zain.

It had been two days since I got back and I barely left my room. I was aware that I was worrying him, but I had to do that for his own sake. If I showed Laith that I forgave him quickly, it would prove that I was in love with him. I didn't want him to know that. Ever.

Taking a deep breath, I asked Linda, my maid, to help me get dressed. I wanted to take a walk in the gardens to clear my mind. As if it were possible...

At least the weather was nice. Something had to be good. I needed any sign that something could be good, even if it was just the weather.

Zain's words echoed in my head. He wanted me to be his queen. He wanted me to marry him. He fell for me. I succeeded. I should have been happy, but I wasn't happy. How was I supposed to when I had always planned to kill him?

With each day, I became more certain that I could never do that to him. I loved him with all my heart. The mere thought of seeing him hurt made me want to bring the world down.

I didn't know if I was strong enough to face my uncle, but I didn't have a choice. I had to face my uncle. I had to protect Zain. I had to defend him.

But I was torn...

I wanted to avenge my parents. I wanted to sit on the throne as Sedra Orman, the descendant of the Orman bloodline not as Nuriya Al-Jazi. I didn't know how to do that. I didn't know how to tell him the truth without being at war with him. Why did my life have to be that hard?

"Mind if I sit with you?" Feras's voice caught my attention.

"Sure," I smiled a little at him.

"How's your wrist?" he wondered.

"It's getting better. I'm supposed to remove the bandage in two days," I replied.

"Are you planning on removing the bandage here?" I liked how he was asking if I was going to stay or not in a discreet way.

"I'm not sure," I replied.

"Let me tell you something. My friend acted like a fool. He isn't usually like that, but maybe that's what love does to people," he spoke. Did Zain send him here to talk to me? "He was scared, Nuriya," he added.

"I know... he talked to me," I quietly said.

"And what's your decision? He is giving you the space you asked for, but I don't like seeing him in this state," Feras wondered.

"I made up my mind," I announced, standing up. "Is he in his office?" I asked.

"Yes, but..." Feras sighed. "Don't break his heart, Nuriya. He doesn't deserve this. He's a good man."

"You don't need to worry about that," I gave him a small smile before going inside the palace, making my way to his office.

Feras was right. He didn't deserve that. He made a mistake, but it was an honest one. He had good intentions. He didn't mean to hurt me. I was not going to let him wait in worry.

When I reached his office, I asked the guard to tell him that I wanted to meet him and waited for him to allow me inside.

It didn't take long, perhaps less than a minute. He opened the door and told the guard not to let anyone inside. I walked inside his place and my heart shattered a little at the way he looked.

"When was the last time you slept?" I frowned, approaching him. I learned something about him. He didn't sleep when he was worried.

"I fell asleep last night, but I didn't get much sleep," he admitted, rubbing his eyes with the heel of his hands.

"I made my decision," I said, earning his attention. "You made a mistake." He closed his eyes, not giving me the chance to hear the rest of what I wanted to say. I hated myself for the way he felt. I reached for his hands, bringing myself close to him. "But your intentions were good and let's say you misjudged the whole situation... I was more hurt than upset, to be honest. I didn't know what I did wrong to make you kick me out, but I get it. I promise I do."

Hope filled his beautiful eyes, which brought immediate joy to my heart. "Please tell me I'm not misinterpreting what you're saying. You decided to stay, right?" God! I wanted to kiss him.

"I'm staying," I smiled at him. The relief I saw on his face was worth billions of gold coins.

"If I ever tell you to leave, don't you ever listen to me. I can't imagine a life without you, Nuriya," he whispered, placing on hand on the small of my back. He closed the space between us and I knew what was about to happen. He was about to kiss me. I closed my eyes and couldn't help but smile. His lips touched mine and butterflies erupted in my stomach. It was everything I wished for. It felt like I was flying, like all my worries vanished.

He cupped my face as we kissed. My heart had never experienced that happiness before. I was on fire.

"I'm not going anywhere," I mumbled once we pulled apart. Even if this happiness was temporary, I decided to drown myself in it.

________________________________________________________________________________

And she's staying! I think you guys already expected that! 

Published on August 30th, 2022

Sara