Sixteen

I could easily disarm that stupid prick who was holding the knife against my throat, but if I did that, Zain might start questioning my abilities and this was a card that was supposed to stay hidden for as long as possible.

"You don't have to hurt her. I will give you the money I have," Zain spoke calmly, raising his hands in surrender. I gulped, trying to show fear. A lady like Nuriya Al-Jazi was never supposed to be accustomed to such positions.

"Please let me go," I fake-whimpered.

"Shut up, bitch!" he jerked me by his arm that was wrapped around my arms, as if he were preventing me from moving. Had it not been for my desire to keep my talents hidden, this asshole would have paid for calling me a bitch.

"Don't hurt her!" Zain snapped at him. I could see anger in his eyes. "I'm going to put my hand in my pocket and get you the money, okay?"

"Make it quick!" the thief growled.

I watched as Zain put his hand in his pocket, but instead of getting out money, he acted swiftly as he threw a small pocket knife at the man that struck him in his right shoulder. The moment he let go of me, Zain pulled me away from him and we dashed through the narrow streets.

"That's for calling her a bitch, bastard!" he yelled and I couldn't help but chuckle. I did not expect such a reaction from him. I thought he was going to give him the money he had, but Zain was full of surprises.

Once we were far from where we got jumped, he placed his hands on my neck, carefully inspecting it for wounds.

"I'm not hurt," I assured him.

"I know. I just want to make sure." He seemed genuinely concerned. "I'm sorry about that." He frowned. "Not the best way to end a good night."

"The way I see it, it added more spice to our adventurous night!" I grinned.

"I would have given him the money, you know? I didn't care about it, but then you seemed so scared and he fucking insulted you, which made me see red, so I had to do something. I wanted you to be sure that you can go out with me and you'd be protected. If I resorted to diplomacy with a thief, that might have made you a bit reluctant and I definitely didn't want that." He was rambling out of anxiousness, which was incredibly adorable. I felt like I wanted to kiss him to shut up, but I couldn't do that. I should not take the first step.

I did the only thing I could do. I reached for both of his hands, startling him a little. "I feel safe with you and I would love to go out with you again." I smiled at him. I could see relief washing over him, like I had just told him his country won the war against its greatest enemy.

We walked until we reached a certain spot in the forest, then we came to a halt. He looked a little nervous and it was easy to tell why. Not waiting for him to say anything, I gently pulled the hair scarf off my hair and handed it to him.

"I trust you, so let's make this trip quick," I told him. He said nothing and nodded. I closed my eyes before the piece of fabric touched them. After it was secured, I heard rustling, followed by the clash of wood. He took my hand in his and slowly, he guided me through the tunnels.

I felt the trip back to the palace was faster and once we were back in his chambers, he took off my blindfold.

"I will sneak you to Lady Mayan's chambers, okay?" I nodded. There was a pang in my chest. I didn't want this night to end, but I was hoping for more nights like this one.

It took us a while to sneak past the guards, but I didn't mind. I loved every second of this. I loved everything we did today. I even loved the breakdown I had because it showed me how caring he could be.

But as much as I loved this night, it scared the hell out of me, because it made me see a side of him I did not prepare myself for. A soft side that could easily win my heart— the heart that I thought forgot how to feel anything but anger and hatred. How was I supposed to look him in the eye and end his life? Surely, he wasn't that good. This was all an act to win me. It had to be this way. It better be this way, because I was not ready for anything else.

"I have a request and feel free to say no if you don't feel comfortable," he said once we reached Mayan's chambers.

"What is it?" my voice was low as I didn't want anybody to hear us.

"Would it be okay with you if I asked Lord Laith to court you?" I did it! I was getting so close to having him ask for my hand in marriage. Everything was going according to plan. Soon enough I was going to sit on the throne. I was going to become the queen of Vinadra and Carbilia.

"I would be honoured. Have a goodnight, Zain," I said and dared to kiss his cheek before disappearing inside Mayan's chamber.  

_______________________________________________________________

I hope you're enjoying the story so far!
I promise the best is yet to come❤️❤️
Published on July 24th, 2022
Sara