Thirteen: Zain

When she reached for my hand, it was like the world stopped. I wanted to cease that moment and live in it for a while. Just for a little while. Enough to help me forget about the blood on my hands. The blood of the people I didn't kill, but my father did. I tried to right the wrongs he had committed, but the people weren't willing to forget. No matter what I did, I was the son of a murderer in their eyes, which made me a murderer.

When I was out touring the small villages, I came across people who hated the mere idea of my existence. Some of them were parents, some were wives and some were children. Each of them lost somebody in the massacre that my father committed against the original king and queen of Vinadra. They all cursed me and wished me a slow and painful death. My guards were one step away from inflicting punishment on them, but I was not my father. I was not going to use violence against those people. He had done enough damage and I had to live with it for the rest of my life.

On so many occasions, I found myself wishing I could give back the throne to anybody from the Orman family— the original rulers, but my father killed all of them. Not a single person was left alive. Father told me once that they had a daughter, but she wasn't killed in the massacre. She disappeared and nobody heard of her. She was just a small child who was less than ten years old when the massacre took place. I could only imagine the fright she went through that night. She went from being a princess loved by her parents and spoilt by the whole palace to being an orphan in the blink of an eye. Nobody knew what happened to her.

I wanted the Vinadrian people to forgive me. To give me a chance. I wasn't bad. I was nothing like my father. I wanted to give them a better life. I was tired of being cursed and held accountable for crimes I did not commit.

Seeing Nuriya playing on the piano was like the light at the end of the tunnel. The only positive thing on a terrible day. I loved the way she looked when she was playing. She was lost in her own world as if she weren't with us on Earth. When I played with her, I was also taken to whatever place she was in; a place free of hatred and betrayal.

After dinner, I found myself walking to where her room was. I was stressed and on edge. I felt like she was the only person who could pull me out of my misery, even if the small dosage of joy she would give me was only temporary. I needed that.

I knocked on her door and waited. Her maid was taken by surprise upon seeing me. She had the right to be surprised. This wasn't normal.

"Your Majesty." She curtsied.

"Good evening, is Lady Nuriya awake?" I wondered.

"She is awake, your Majesty," she replied.

"May I speak with her?" I requested. This was nowhere near an order. If she was busy reading a book or even enjoying her night on the balcony, I would leave. However, I was hoping that she would make time for me.

"My apologies, your Majesty," Nuriya said quickly once she noticed me and she quickly curtsied. "Please do me the honour and come inside," she smiled, stepping aside.

"If it is okay with you, would you take a walk with me?" I asked her.

"I would love to. Linda, tell my father that I'm taking a walk with his Majesty if he asks about me," she told her maid, then stepped outside.

"I hope I didn't cause you any disturbance," I spoke. She made me nervous. I always wanted to do the right thing when she was around. I wanted her to like me, but I wanted to make sure that she liked me for who I was, not for what I was. I wanted her to see me as a normal person, not a king that would provide her with a great title if she married him.

"I wasn't doing anything. I hope you are in better spirits now. You were rather... upset this morning," she said.

"Was it that obvious?"

"It seemed like you were carrying the burdens of the whole world on your shoulders," she admitted, looking at me.

It felt like it too.

I studied her flawless face, trying to understand how beautiful someone could be. Her eyes were hazel and bright, slightly pulled up from the sides. Her jawline was sharp, but her cheeks weren't hollow. She was perfect. Her honey brown hair cascaded down her back in waves and I found myself fighting the urge to run my fingers through it.

"Being a king isn't easy," I told her. I didn't want to throw all of my thoughts at her. She didn't deserve that. I didn't want her to run away from me. Not that quick at least.

"It must be hard to rule two kingdoms," she commented. Especially if the people of one of those two kingdoms hate the idea of my existence. I wanted to say.

"I'm trying to do my best," I said. I wasn't lying. I was trying, despite all the circumstances. "Anyway, as I told you before, you won't be confined within the walls of this palace, but Nuriya, you have to give me your word that whatever we will do will stay between us. Nobody else should know about our whereabouts."

She looked intrigued. "You have my word, so long as my life is not in danger," she smiled a little as she said the last part.

"You don't have to worry about that. I will always protect you." It was a vow I made. If I chose to let her accompany me on my night adventures, then I would protect her with my life.

"What are your plans?" she wondered with pure curiosity in her gorgeous eyes.

"Tell your father that you're going to spend the night with Lady Mayan and tell her to cover up for you. I will come to take you from her chambers at eight, an hour after dinner is served. I will also have specific clothes delivered to you at her chambers. You can't be that elegant in the place we're going to," I told her my plan and she raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"Where are you taking me, Zain?" My name was different on her lips.

"I will show you how common Vinadrians have fun."   

________________________________________________________________________________

The next chapters are going to be so freaking exciting! 

I hope you're enjoying the plot so far ^_^

Vote and comment, please💙💙

Published on July 18th, 2022

Sara