Seven

Worry and nervousness filled me as my maid fixed my gown. A wince escaped my lips as she tightened the corset around my body. The punch I took in the rib as a reminder not to change the plan without any consultation hurt; just one punch, yet it was enough to give me a nasty bruise. That was his usual punishment. Hurting me in places hidden from the eyes. Offering me an apologetic smile, the maid continued her job. She learnt throughout the years to ignore the bruises that marked her mistress's skin.

             After my talk with Mayan, I went to my suite and I knew what was awaiting me. I knew the consequences and I was ready to embrace them.

             Laith wasn't fond of the changes I made concerning our plans. He saw it as nothing but a childish mistake that somebody like me should have never committed. His forearm made contact with my rib, sending me to the ground. If we were home, I would have received a worse punishment, but luckily, we weren't— technically.

             "Leave us," Laith barked his order to the maid as he stormed inside my chamber. He had been on edge because of my actions. I had to absorb his anger. I slowly turned around to look at him, hoping he wasn't there to throw more harsh words or more punches at me. "Mess this up and you'll pay." Nothing but seriousness laced his voice that a chill travelled down my spine, yet I managed to seem composed before him. Even if my knees were threatening to buckle, I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of seeing me afraid of him.

             "I won't. I will follow the plan," I assured him, trying to prevent myself from nervously clasping my wrist. A habit of mine that I never seemed to abandon, yet I did know how to have control over it at some times. Without saying a word, he left my chamber, and only then did I sigh in relief.

             Quickly, I turned my face to the mirror and gripped the edge of the vanity in an attempt to ease my nerves. I could hear how loudly my heart was banging in my chest, that I thought it might leap out. I reached for the blush and added more colour to my cheeks. I had to look perfect. There was no room for a single mistake.

             The maid walked back inside and fixed my long wavy hair that cascaded down my back, but it was pulled away from my face with pearl pins. After I finished getting ready, I could only do nothing but wait. I was told that somebody was going to be sent to escort me to the king's wing.

             At exactly six o'clock, one of the king's guards came and escorted me to the king. I was aware that I was going to have dinner with the king in his wing, yet I didn't know in which room we were going to dine. We stood before a large creamy door and the guard knocked on the door. I smoothed the skirts of my lavender dress and made sure to place my hands beside me, remembering to stop intertwining my fingers together.

             A servant opened the door and allowed me inside. The moment I walked in, I made sure to remember all the entrances and exits. Anger bubbled inside of me. I loathed how I was treated as a visitor when I was the rightful owner of the Grand Palace. There was a small dining table with six chairs close to the balcony. It was a Vinadrian piece. It was easy to tell from the engraved circular and triangular shapes in the cedar brown wood. Even the dark blue marble top of the table screamed Vinadra. 

             This was not the king's wing. It was mine. I was supposed to be transferred to this side of the palace once I turned thirteen, but that was snatched away from me. Every single centimeter in that place was mine and I was going to take it all back. I was going to make him regret the doings of his father. I was ready to have the blood of every Carbilian on my hands. Not an ounce of guilt would penetrate my heart.

             Taking a deep breath, I silently and slowly counted from five to one; a way I had adopted to calm myself down.

             "Good evening, Lady Nuriya," Zain said with a smile on his face as the servant closed the door the King exited from.