Twenty-one

Two days had passed over the dinner I had with Zain out. It was amazing, but the night we spent as commoners was still better. I loved seeing that carefree side of him that knew how to have fun as if he weren't shouldering the responsibilities of two huge kingdoms.

"Hello, gorgeous." A kiss was placed on my cheek, making my cheeks redden. I was sitting on the swing in the gardens all alone. I wasn't alone a while ago, but Mayan clumsily spilled tea over her gown, so she went to change.

"Guards will talk if you keep kissing me in front of them like that," I mumbled even though I did enjoy his kisses. I wasn't going to tell him that though.

"what are they going to say? The king is kissing the lady he is courting on the cheeks. I think they may be wondering why I am not kissing you on the lips," he smirked and I found myself blushing more. He was not faking his admiration. Everything he said felt sincere. I was the one playing a game here. A game that will end with his blood smearing my hands for the rest of my life.

It all felt easy when I first came here, but the more time I spent with him, the more difficult it felt.

"I met Lady Mayan on my way here and I told her I would like to steal you from her," he told me.

"What do you have in mind for us?" I wondered, tilting my head to the side.

"Come with me," he said as he stood up and pulled me with him. The two of us walked inside the palace and I had to admit, I was pretty curious. He seemed eager to do whatever he had in mind.

"I'm getting a little impatient here," I said as he took me towards a hallway that did not lead to my chambers.

"Okay, I didn't like how you didn't know what to do when we got jumped in the alley, so I want to teach you how to defend yourself," he said as he looked at me, making my heart flutter. Why did he have to make me fall for him more? Why did he have to make killing him worse than it already felt?

"And now I am more excited than I have ever been in the past five days," I beamed.

"I knew you'd love that," he said, standing in front of me. I was so close to him as he held both my hands. There was almost no space between us and I liked that. I wanted him to hold me. I liked being that close to him.

"How did you know that?" I mumbled, smiling a little.

"Come on, Nuriya. You're not an ordinary woman. You're outstanding. You like archery. You helped me manage a tight budget and didn't mind living a life of a commoner for a night. I'm certain there are many surprises I have yet to discover about you. Of course, you'd love to know how to defend yourself because you simply don't like depending on anyone." I was in love with how he talked about me. "Have I told you how much I love your eyes?" he wondered. I shyly looked down.

"I'm... I'm not sure." My heart was racing.

"Now I am standing this close to you, I can see that they're not just hazel. I can see that there's actually a green hue around your iris, which makes them more beautiful," he told me. I had men telling me I was beautiful before, but none of them was like Zain. None of them piqued my interest like him.

"I... Thank you," he had me stammering like an idiot.

"I have been thinking," he placed both of his hands on the small of my back, "would it be okay if I kissed you? By that I mean kissing you on the lips," he told me. No words could describe how nervous, yet ecstatic I was.

"I want you to kiss me," I breathed out. There was no point in hiding how I truly felt.

"Good, because I have been dying to do this." I closed my eyes as I felt his breath hit my face. It smelled like fresh mint. My pulse heightened and I felt a bead of sweat trickling down my back.

"I have been waiting fo— Oh God, am I interrupting something?" I heard Feras's voice, which caused Zain to pull away from me. He was literally a second away from kissing me! I felt the tip of his lips brush against mine!

"I'm going to kill him!" I heard him mutter, making me laugh.

"Do I need to run?" Feras addressed me.

"I think so," I chuckled.

"We're coming, General of ruining good moments!" Zain hissed as he took my hand. "I promise, I will make it up to you," he whispered in my ear. I couldn't wait for that to happen.  

________________________________________________________________________________

They were literally about to kiss! Feras just had to ruin the moment😂

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Published on August 2nd, 2022

Sara