Chapter 6: Midnight Memories

Sitting beside Harry as he drove the car, I was concentrating to steady my racing heart.

No more staring, I hastily promise myself.

But the stubborn side of me steals glances at his face every twenty seconds, and it just ruins my plan of keeping my heart rate normal.

He smiles when he catches me trying to sneak a glance and I curse myself for being too obvious.

I feel drenched in humiliation.

God, Teddy. Can you be any more embarrassing?

"What are you thinking?" Harry asks, eyeing me curiously, cocking an eyebrow. There's a spark of amusement in his eyes.

Keep it together, Teddy. Don't be uncool. I remind myself. And for the love of God, don't say something stupid.

"Umm, just the weather," I shrug, trying to be casual.

That's right, Teddy. Cool and normal.

"The weather. Really?" Harry asks with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Are you sure you're not thinking of something else?"

"What do you mean 'thinking of something else' ?"

"I don't know," he shrugs innocently, using one hand to comb through his locks, "maybe me, for example?"

"No, I wasn't! " I lied as I crossed my fingers behind my back.

"Of course you are," he teases. "You wouldn't be blushing now if you weren't."

"That's not true!"

"Show me your fingers, then."

"What?"

"Your fingers, Teddy," Harry urged ." You're crossing them behind your back, aren't you?"

"No, I wasn't," I countered ."And I'm not showing them!"

With one arm, Harry grabs for my hand from behind me and I yank it away.

"Stop it! I'm...uh..." I trail off, my mind was blank with excuses. Come on brain, do your work here. "I'm allergic to fingers," I say finally, for the lack of a clever thing to say.

Harry bursts into laughter.

"Come on. Don't be a coward," Harry coaxed. "You can admit it, you know? I wouldn't mind."

I was so embarrassed I suddenly want to shrink down to the size of an ant or just hide my face just like those turtles from Discovery Channel.