Chapter 15: Little White Lies

I honestly didn't think she was telling the truth, at first.

I've seen pranks being pulled on TV, and I just thought Hey, maybe this is one of those!

Maybe there's a hidden camera somewhere, and in a few seconds, someone will come out jumping from one of the cubicles, screaming, "You've been pranked!".

I look around me, squinting to see if there are some cracks on the wall where they could have hidden a camera, but I fail miserably.

"Where is it?" I ask her with a knowing smile.

"The what?" Audrey looks confused, giving me a blank stare as though she has no idea what I'm talking about.

God, she can really act!

"The cameras!" I chirp meaningfully. "Are they hiding them somewhere?"

Audrey shakes her head. "I don't know what you're talking about," she answers me with a frown, looking completely baffled.

There's silence, and I raise my eyes to see Audrey, looking at me as though I've grown two extra pairs of heads. And then, she steps back, giving me a weird look, and she leaves me alone.

Suddenly, I feel a little hollow. I stare back at my dejected reflection in the mirror, feeling mortification creep over me.

She doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about, does she?

Oh, God. So does this mean that what she told me was actually...

I'm standing stiff and upright like a dried twig. My entire body is seized in shock, making my head spin. I can't take all of this in. I'm breathing harder and harder until I'm almost hyperventilating.

I clutch the fabric of my dress, the pain surfacing from inside is unbearable.

"I'm Harry's girlfriend."

Audrey's words pierce sharp and relentlessly in my memory, staying in my head like a tightly coiled snake, as I replay it over and over in my head.

No, she's lying, Teddy, I tell myself sternly. There's no way she's telling the truth.

I close my eyes and shook my head, attempting to find the slightest bit of clarity. But even then, my thoughts are still haywired. There was no way to find clarity in a situation like this. Except by asking Harry himself.

With a sudden resolution, an idea sparks inside me.

Yes. Harry. I will find him and he'll tell the truth. I know he will.

Then maybe I could get rid of the ridiculous suspicions running around my head.